2 Gang USB socket- Square crew terminal fit three wires-

Twisting is fine the first time you do it, the problem comes when things have to be dismantled and reassembled, repeated bending can work-harden the metal and then it can break.

Sponsored Links
Twisting is fine the first time you do it, the problem comes when things have to be dismantled and reassembled, repeated bending can work-harden the metal and then it can break.

It certainly looks strong to me, and I don't have to undo/redo as its a 1-off. I do wonder if its against some regulation though.

Thank you-

p50

It certainly looks strong to me, and I don't have to undo/redo as its a 1-off. I do wonder if its against some regulation though.
It doesn't violate any explicit regulation. Undoing/redoing may, in the future, become necessary in the course of testing or modification, but the issue can be addressed then, if necessary. Even though it's not regarded as good practice, there must be countless millions of twisted-together solid conductors out there!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The cable has a capacity of (at best) 27A.

The socket is only required to be able to supply a total load of 20A, and then not at the same time as the cables are carrying any current for any other sockets.

but I now realise these are 24A not 32 A. Back to the drawing board.
Those will be fine. The 2.5mm² cable itself cannot carry 32A, it is not designed to. The 32A MCB protects the RING, don't forget the current is shared down two legs of the ring.

EDIT: too slow :cry:

Hello Everyone,

My first post and straight away - I have two questions. Looking for some professional advise as other forums have left me totally confused between opinion and best practice.

1) - 3 wires into a socket. Sounds simple, its a ring main with a spur. however the new facia (double socket with USB port -see ScrewFix) has a square screw terminator connector. I have slotted the three wires in and out and never ever have I been convinced that all three are nipped. One always seems looser than the other two. The only way I found was to twist them together. I stripped them equally and used two pairs of pliers- one to hold the 3 cores still, the other to twist. It looks nice and the wires are really well together. Now I have read that twisting solid core wire is against regulations and must not be done as the wire may snap, which according to other forums means that the house will burn down. I do not want that. The question- In reality, do professional electricians do this occasionally, when there really is no other way and clearly the design of the connector is giving a unsafe connection?

2) Another socket - this time the 1970's electrician cut the leads short and they really barely reach to the terminals. I am quite sure that when I replace the socket there wires are like banjo strings. The socket works, and I have removed it to check the connections are strong. They are. But - tight wires seems like a no-no to me. So how the hell do I extend them? Again the internet says crimp+heat shrink, others say use Wago connectors etc. What is best practice? There are so many different opinions! What is the best and safest way to extend the wires inside a socket, when you can not run a new wire in?

Sorry for the long item....

Yes - I know I will be advised to call out a part P electrician, and that home electrics is unsafe. I believe you and know this- but I can not afford it so help me out!

Thank you everyone

poolz50

These modern square terminals ARE rubbish.

Are the terminals quite big?

The only way I can be sure of a sound connection in these circumstances is strip a little bit more off the end of each wire, and fold the ends over with pliers.

I know it's all a pain, but the wires shouldn't slip out.

I find using ordinary connector blocks are best for extending wires within socket boxes. They are more 'adaptable' than crimps.

Wagos too may be helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back