Hot water tank runs empty too often. Any ideas? (PIC inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have been living in my current house for a bit over 3 years now. The wife and I have both been working during this time and very occasionally had an issue where our hot water would run out (not run cold but just no water would come out the hot water tap).

However my wife is no longer working and the strain of someone being at home all week is resulting in the hot water finishing on an almost daily basis. Again when it finishes the hot water taps stop producing water its not that the water is cold.

My guess is that my hot water tank may be either too small or not functioning properly.

I went up in the loft today and took some pictures:

2YGfetq.jpg

42UhRMC.jpg

MbUXMuV.jpg

My understanding is the black tanks are for the central heating and the greenish colour tank is for the taps.

Can anyone see an issue from these pictures?

My thought is to replace the hot water tank with a new bigger tank?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
One large loft tank to feed the copper cylinder, and one small tank to serve the central heating system.....
Its the larger tank you need to attend to - either its too small or its filling mechanism needs attention.
John :)

or maybe there is a drowned mouse blocking the exit pipe...

Picture 1. Your big tank is wrapped in a black polythene insulation jacket and tied with yellow string.

Check this is refilling when your taps are running. It sounds like the ball valve mechanism may not be working properly.

Sponsored Links
You need to measure the filling rate of the large tank.

I am assuming that the black tank empties because it is filling at a slower rate than its being emptied.

You should also check the flow rate of each hot tap and also consider how you could can use less hot water volume.

Tony

OR just change the float valve in the larger tank ( I never was good @ calcs.)

It is also possible that your cold mains supply pressure has reduced possibly due to a burst mains. Does your kitchen cold tap run with a good flow, especially when you run out of hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back