How and where to wire in an outside PIR on back of garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some wiring advice please to fit one of these IR lights on the outside of the back of my garage :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-pyro-...or-floodlight-graphite-230v-120w-2500lm/50908

The wiring in my garage is as detailed below ( <---> = cable ) :

16A breaker <---> 3A switched Spur(1) <---> 13A switched Spur (2) <---> 1Gang <---> 1Gang <---> 2Gang (sockets)

Off (1), is my boiler

Off (2), is a 3A Switched Spur off which are 2 flourescent lights (switched)

Based on that style of light i have shown, can anyone confirm where to hardwire it in please, or can it simply run off one of my sockets ?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi, you can add a fcu to supply your additional light to any of your sockets.

Regards,

DS

You can take it off the 3A spurred circuit, then fit an in-line switch and then feed to the light fitting.
You maybe able to replace the existing switch for flo lights and add another gang and take feed from there, if you have neutral at switch.

thanks for the replies guys

PrenticeBoy.....i have just checked and the switch for the flourescents has the following :

L1 - empty
L2 - Red
Common - Black
Earth

Is that good ?

If so, can you confirm if i can make use of that and if so, how please and what else i might need ?

Sponsored Links
You need a neutral at the switch you only have perm live, switch live and earth, the neutral must have been directly taken to the lights.
As we need to have a neutral at the outside light, there would be several option on how to do this, take live,neutral, earth from flo lights, take additional feed from Fused Spur or break in the lighting circuit between Fused Spur and light or take a fused down connection from a socket.
The choice would depend on practical and logical processes, to configure.

thanks again for the reply again Prentice

As the 3A spur off (2) is easily accessible, i think its going to be easier to wire straight from that point for my outside light, rather than disturbing and risk messing the rest up.

Can you confirm the wiring please based on the photo i have attached :

Presumably i just wire my outside light like for like L/N/E from the "LOAD" side, as thats "after" the switch on the spur, yes ?

Also, what wiring thickness would be appropriate...1mm or 1.5mm ?

View media item 93088View media item 93089

I would personally install an in-line two pole switch between FCU and light, so you can isolate in case of fault or maintenance without troubling other loads.

So load side using either 1.0mm t&e or 1.00mm flex.
Earth to earth
Brown to Live
Blue to Neutral
Than at DP switch the same at feed/supply/in
From DP switch to light
at load/out
Repeat the
Brown to L
Blue to N
Earth to earth
then the same at the light.
Not too difficult, have some testing equipment handy to confirm continuity, polarity and voltage.

Also get some 20mm grommets or glands for the cable entry holes, as there are non present.

Sorry Prentice...i dont understand your phrase " in-line two pole switch between FCU and light"

Is that not just using the same again (3A FCU) wired from the LOAD side of the existing FCU, and then onto the outside light ?
Does that not provide the same protection as the outside light will have its own fuse protection that can be removed if i need to work on the outside light ?

Double pole, switches both neutral and live conductors to the load.
Light is your PIR light you linked.
FCU is a fuse connection unit or fused spur.
In-line means between supply of in this case the FCU and the pir light, this would be to help isolate the pir light.
You could use a second FCU as double pole isolation, if you did this it would be more logical to take the supply from the supply side of the existing fused spur (aka FCU) ane down fuse to 1A-3A

thanks Prentice

I think i will use the 2nd approach using an extra FCU (1-3A) wired from the existing FCU from the SUPPLY side
1mm cable + grommets

i have just checked and the switch for the flourescents has the following :

L1 - empty
L2 - Red
Common - Black
Earth

Is that good ?
Sean, please, please, PLEASE take a bit of time to learn how the things you want to fiddle with work before you start trying to fiddle with them.

No, the 2 fluorescents are off a 3rd FCU supplied by the 2nd:

Off (2), is a 3A Switched Spur off which are 2 flourescent lights (switched)

Or if he's got that wrong and that 3rd FCU comes off the supply to #2, then #2 is just doing the sockets - again pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back