Replacing a Tube light with LED light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone can advise.

I was asked to change an old tube light in a rels small business with an LED one. Simple enough I thought, 2 wire switch but opening it up it looks more complicated.

Can anyone advise? The brown wire and white go into the ballast. The blue wire off the back I believe feeds into the emergency light. What type of connector is that which can have 4 wires off one end?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dont really understand what you mean.

From what you can see, it just looks basic 3 plate wiring

Dont really understand what you mean.

From what you can see, it just looks basic 3 plate wiring

Can I just take that block off? I've never seen one with 4 wires off one end. I didn't know what that blue thing was either, connecting neutral to earth?

I don't think you're competent to be carrying out work in commercial premises.

Sponsored Links
I have seen them blue things before, I think they are surpressors.

Its common to see a Capaciter between , L and N, possibly the two white wires, but as for the reason for that blue thing not a clue

I don't think you're competent to be carrying out work in commercial premises.

Sorry, I thought changing a light fitting would be straight forward - done dozens of them! If it is something not to touch then I'll advise on getting someone in

Unfortunately work in a commercial premise falls under the electricity at work act, and also there may be issues for the customers insurance if not using an competent electrician.

Do you have liability insurance which covers this work?

Sorry to sound like a killjoy, but I'd hate for something to go wrong which comes back to bite you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back