Drain in way of foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am digging my foundations where there is a previous drain which was used for rain water that I assume must connect to my main drain. Will it be ok to remove what is in the way and cap it as I will have to use soakaways? I found it blocked but have dug down/ cleared it. What method is best to 'cap' it off. Someone said paper then concrete?

Sponsored Links
Why do you have to use soakaways? If you have an existing surface water drain connected to the mains drainage system then as far as I know you can continue to use it. But best check it is connected and sound (not cracked or full of roots) first.....

By the time you have dug down to the correct foundation depth this drain pipe should be largely exposed and dealing with it should become a lot simpler. You can buy a cap or with a wee bit of care use the method you describe as long as you don't affect any through channels of existing live drains.

Why do you have to use soakaways? If you have an existing surface water drain connected to the mains drainage system then as far as I know you can continue to use it
Not true. Authorities are encouraging the use of soakaways (wherever suitable) irrespective of existing drain layout.

Sponsored Links
P.S. We would have removed a larger margin of paving in relation to the trench sides. If you are hand digging you will rap your knuckles to bits on those edges. If you are machine digging they will end up in the trench.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back