WB 24i Greenstar Jnr - Primary Heat Exchanger Irreplaceable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope somebody can help.

We have a Worcester Bosch 24i Junior Greenstar installed around 2006. Since then we have replaced all the radiators in the house, and had various losses of hot water from clogged plate heat exchangers.

We lost the hot water again recently (cycling hot / cold), so I fitted an Adey Magnaclean and blasted the heat exchanger with a hose, which fixed the problem for a few months.

We lost the hot water again in the last week or so. So I decided to take the plunge and buy a new plate heat exchanger. This time it has not fixed the issue.

Boiler repair guy came around yesterday, and from what I can make out (I wasn't there), they say the primary heat exchanger is clogged. It can't be replaced, and we need a new boiler (£1,400+). Something was turned under the boiler, hot water was run, and the exchanger got red hot as wasn't circulating around?

Anybody have any advise of thoughts on the issue / if it may be repairable?

Sponsored Links
As Dan said, it can be replaced and the replacement part number is indicated in the back of the installation manual.

Sponsored Links
It's up to you really, the heat exchanger costs about 70 quid.

If you haven't got the cash to get a new boiler then obviously a heat exchanger replacement and a decent service is in order.

Whoops, (always read the post fully first) sorry, the primary heat exchanger is a couple of hunder squid.... my bad :LOL: thats not including fitting costs etc

Not so much not got the money, more would rather not spend it if not necessary!

Seen cleaning kits online. Worth a go?

The cleaning kits are for the gas side, not the water side. If it's been fitted on a dirty system the heat exchanger will have collapsed in on itself and will need replacing. About £400 for the heat exchanger, most likely a new pump as if the old one had been straining against a restriction for a while it'll be on its way out (another £80) and a powerflush to stop it happening again (about £80 in chemicals, plus machine hire). All plus labour of course, probably a day and a half. It'll be cheaper than a new boiler but you'll still have a plastic-filled heap of rubbish on your wall with no warranty. Better to spend the extra bit and get something decent with a warranty if you can afford it

After doing some reading I think I'm going to give another bottle of X800 a go. The videos online of the primary heat exchanger suggest it can be an effective cleaner (and for £20 must be worth a go!).

On the topic of the diagnosis in the first place, is the primary heat exchanger a likely culprit?

Just to add over the weekend all the radiators were treated to a run through with a hose and a beating will a rubber mallet - so hopefully we are sludge free in them anyway.

I don't have enough information to make any guess at the cause let alone a diagnosis!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back