Installing a bamboo barrier to prevent it spreading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bamboo in my garden and it is spreading like crazy - and even now popping up through my patio.

I've decided to cut it all out and start again using a barrier all around where I plant it.

I have two questions:
- Does anyone know a place to buy the barrier in London? I've only found places online, but with very expensive shipping

- Should I save some of the existing bamboo and replant that, or easier just to kill it all off and buy new?

Sponsored Links
It's definitely bamboo! But it has just gone crazy and the previous owners planted it directly alongside the patio with no barrier.

It works really well as a privacy screen though so i do want to replace it.

Sponsored Links
you could choose a more suitable clump forming variety rather than a runner type.

I boxed in my quite invasive bamboo with buried concrete gravel boards, i get the odd few creeping shoots go over the top or under the boards but these are easily managable. The canes sprouted up through my patio and lawn before i controlled it.

i've heard of cheap patio slabs being used for the same thing

Thanks. That might be a good option for the part near the patio, where I want to double up. I can probably pick some old ones up for free on my local freecycle group.

Could be more hassle than it's worth given the weight though. And I worry that the rhizomes could still force their way through the gaps where the slabs meet.

I think what ever solution you pick, there will be issues.

Bamboo is incredibly tenacious, and will probably find a way around most things!

The proper stuff is like a very tough butyl. i saw it at kew gardens and gave it a feel.

You need a continuous barrier, the rhizomes will push slabs apart and go through the gap.

As i said you can avoid all this by choosing the right variety and buying it from a quality supplier who knows their onions.

maybe you could hybridize and create Bamions, taste like onions, grow like bamboo, or given the topic, looks like bamboo, grows like onions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back