Glowworm 40FF - Sticking Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I have a glow worm boiler which stopped working the other evening, I have a British Gas Homecare contract so called them out. They arrived the next day and spent a good 20 minutes or so spraying with WD40 and something else I didn't recognise. It still didn't start. I saw the engineer bring up a picture of the fan on his laptop, went to the van and came back with nothing. Tried a few more sprays and eventually the fan started.

The engineer didn't fit the fan because he didn't have one with him. The job cost £99 excess on my policy, and I suspect the fan bearings have gone and the problem will surface again.

Do you think I should call them back and say I'm not happy with the temporary repair as if it happens again in a couple of weeks or months I will pay another £99 for the privilege.

Thanks

Léon

Sponsored Links
Yes it will go again sooner, rather than later. So I'd agree with you, call them and tell them you want it fixing properly.

This question has come up before Léon.

The answer given by those who work for BG is that what they have done has made it work.

Their repair is meant to have a 12 month guaranty and so if it fails again within that time then they will come again at no extra cost.

What is unclear though is if they will just spray it again or replace it.

However, spraying with WD40 is not really safe because the propellant is very flammable and seriously risks creating a fire!

Tony

BG don't supply Wd40 and never have, they do use ac90 as a water displacement spray and currently use zx1 c60 as a fan lube.
As Tony says the same fault within 12 months won't bring further charge as long as you mention it to the office on booking in.

Sponsored Links
£99 excess!? You'd have got two hours' work and change out of a local engineer for that! You'd be better off putting the money you're spending on Homecare away in a bank account, it'd cost you less!

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

If guess they will continue to spray it until it either doesn't start up again, or the noise is so bad that it wouldn't be acceptable - it's a shame he didn't have one on the van! :)

He definitely used wd40, and then used something in a semi-transparent plastic bottle with a long tube on it which he positioned over the motor area and squeezed the bottle. Not sure what name was on the bottle.

Re the Homecare cover, I got a deal where the years cover (albeit with 99 excess) was no more than the cost of a service - which it includes, so went with that option this year. Although £99 to spray the fan is steep! ;)

May give them a call and see whether they will replace it.

It did stop working over a year ago and another repairer, home serve I think, did the same - and it's worked since.

I would have only charged you £84 for diagnosing the fault and spraying the fan for you to try to get it going.

Then I would say it may run for an hour, a day, month or even a year but in most cases they stop again within six weeks.

Then I would offer to replace the fan at no further cost apart from the price of a new fan but only within a month from my visit. In most cases I comment on the condition of the boiler, its efficiency to aid the customer to reach on a decision to replace the boiler or to keep it going with a new fan.

If the customer must have a reconditioned fan then I will fit that at no further cost within a week but obtaining the fan and returning the old one is totally up to the customer and I point out that as they are nor manufacturer approved it is question able if it is appropriate to fit one.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back