Project Attic conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
As a fun project I have designed a layout for electrical installation of lights in an attic conversion. Is this something that would work and is acceptable for building regs?
Thanks in advance
S

Sponsored Links
its rather small have you got a bigger picture? can't read the text

Sponsored Links
just need a bigger image I think... ie if you scanned it then try again with better resolution, or if you took a picture of your drawing try getting closer or using better quality setting on camera

I can just about see that you are planning a number of bedroom and bathroom lights.

On a non-electrical standpoint, what sort of lights will these be, and where will they be mounted?

Hi Skenk

I tried to expand it - but it went a little blurred....I think it is still legible?
S

You'll be wanting a fan isolation switch and smoke alarm interconnection wire for a start

What's with all the junction boxes?

You're planning to run single core cables?

Is it "acceptable for building regs?" well as a technical drawing in support of some application to them, no. Whether it complies with building regs (and wiring regs) if it's done would depend on how it is actually installed, not a circuit drawing.

There's a whole heap of things to consider

The first one probably being: have you ruled out getting a good electrician?

That was TTC asking about the lights, not me btw

I once set up 24 volt DC lighting in a farm which used common returns and even diodes to allow many switches to all switch on the hall light as well as the bedroom lamp which they were directly connected to but as I have said this was DC.

With AC we must as much as possible run the feed and return along the same routes. The two wire connection between two way switches borrowing a line from another switch works great with DC but with AC you get mains hum in radios. Even the standard two way switching has problems where LED lamps remain on dim.

It will likely work OK and is safe enough but until in use you will not know if you will get EMC problems or not.

Safe way is to used tried and tested methods.

Hi Skenk
1) I thought by putting in JB's it would be easier to supply the different sections of electrics - eg lights; smoke detectors etc
2) Hadnt thought that far ahead with single core/two/three core, but I guess it is tidier with 2 or 3 core.
3) Yes - I have a friend who is a qualified electrician so he will be doing the work - I really just wanted to give him an idea of what I wanted - and to make sure that what (drawing) I gave him he could feasibly work from. (I am basically going off what I learnt in GCSE Physics!)
4)My apologies - ref reply on type of lights!

I work offshore and he will possibly be doing the work whilst I am away.
Many thanks
S

Avoid putting junction boxes in, they are are rarely needed when wiring from scratch. Loop your cables in at light fittings and switches, your ex-fan will require a fan isolator and down fusing to 3A.
Installation would be much easier using t&e and 3c&e.
This is something you should be discussing with the electrician you have employed, they will see the layout in real live and possibly see things differently regarding methods of installation.

The lights are LED downlights.

I thought that might be your plan……...

How are you planning to install those? Building control will insist on a lot of Kingspan(etc) insulation in the pitched roof space. They will not allow you to carve great holes out of the insulation to allow downlights to be installed!

You need to discuss your lighting plan with Building Control before you go any further, otherwise they will reject your installation as it will not comply with Building Regs Part L.

Hello PBoD
Thanks for the input - I will ensure 3A fuse and isolator are installed too.
As will avoid JB's - its something I am familiar with in the maritime industry, but I guess it isnt something that is done shore side.
Once I have the basics, I will let my 'leccy crack on.

Thanks again for the input!! Very valued.

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back