Driveway soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have two questions relating to a driveway, help would be much appreciated:

1. I have a driveway currently being installed. The builder excavated a 1 square meter soakaway, 80 cm deep in the lowest point of the driveway. He filled it with the same particles he used to construct the sub-base, I think it's called type one.
I'm concerned that this soakway will become the weakest point of the driveway and it will start to subside sooner or later. Is my concern substantiated?

2. Any idea what is a reasonable price to build a 35 sq meters driveway?

Sponsored Links
Over 80% of his "soakaway" will be filled with solid material, so it will have very little room for any water! and the active area will be 1 square metre which does not sound very much for a 35 sq. m drive. Can't you allow the water to drain off into the road (someone elses problem then!).
Frank

Over 80% of his "soakaway" will be filled with solid material, so it will have very little room for any water! and the active area will be 1 square metre which does not sound very much for a 35 sq. m drive. Can't you allow the water to drain off into the road (someone elses problem then!).
Frank

The builder is telling me that the law does not allow rain water to be allowed to escape on the street and need to be kept within the property boundaries.

Frank
No it won't be someone else's problem, the local authority are very likely to take action against the homeowner for such action, you ought to be checking the (very basic) planning legislation for this before you start dishing out advice.

Sponsored Links
I have never seen any drainage gulleys at the front of a drive. So how does water not flow onto the road?
Frank

It should not have been filled with 1" down as this will not let the water out.
The size of the soak away is on the lean side but should be fine if constructed correctly.
You are not allowed to let your rain water from a newly built driveway enter the street without planning permission.

Have the pavers at the lowest part got gaps for the water to run down or is there a drain etc?

Costs would proballly range from 2-3.5k depending on a number of factors and styles etc.

It should not have been filled with 1" down as this will not let the water out.
The size of the soak away is on the lean side but should be fine if constructed correctly.
You are not allowed to let your rain water from a newly built driveway enter the street without planning permission.

Have the pavers at the lowest part got gaps for the water to run down or is there a drain etc?

Costs would proballly range from 2-3.5k depending on a number of factors and styles etc.

I've made the builder put crashed concrete in the soakaway.

There is linear drainage installed between the driveway and the street, the water from which goes into the soakaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back