Sockets that are NOT flat to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house and found that most of the sockets in the kitchen are rather useless. They are the fancy 'flat-plate-no-screws-visible' type and, because they are mounted too low down compared to the 3/4inch thick splashback, half the time we can't actually get plugs into them (the cable fouls on the splashback).

Ideally they need to be raised up a bit, but that's a lot work. I think if they were replaced by non-flat sockets (with say an 10mm or so projection) that would do the trick.

So what's available? If it were me, I probably use standard white MK or Crabtree, but my wife really likes the current brushed steel look (fits in with the kitchen). Looking on TLC it looks like Varilight or Contactum are the best bet (and reasonable quality I think?), but I can't find any specs that give the 'projection' dimensions.

Anyone know how far these stick out from the wall? - the further the better!

Sponsored Links
They are the fancy 'flat-plate-no-screws-visible' type and, because they are mounted too low down compared to the 3/4inch thick splashback, half the time we can't actually get plugs into them (the cable fouls on the splashback).
Another triumph of design over function. Quite a popular philosophy with kitchens.

Ideally they need to be raised up a bit, but that's a lot work.
Turn them upside down?

Replace the upstand with a thinner one?

Replace the upstand with a taller one so that the sockets are mounted on it?

Completely replace the upstand with a new splashback running up to the base of the cupboards?

Anyone know how far these stick out from the wall?
Probably < 10mm.

Or do what the previous owners of my last house did, notch the splashback...... Seriously, what goes through some people's minds.

Out of interest, what's the distance between bottom of socket to top of worktop, and top of socket to bottom of wall units?

At my last house, we tiled from worktop to units so put the sockets centered vertically. Current house we tiled 25mm up from worktop, so put the sockets centered vertically between top of tiles and bottom of units.

Sponsored Links
IMO that might well look a bit underwear-like with stainless steel flat plate sockets....

I just measured some shiny metal MK sockets and found they stuck out by just under 10mm. From looking at the MK website I'd guess they were albany plus.

Out of interest, what's the distance between bottom of socket to top of worktop, and top of socket to bottom of wall unit?
Well, as you asked the back of the worktop has a matching upright piece (I guess it is called an 'upstand' rather than a splashback?), about 4 inches tall and 3/4 inch thick. The bottom of the socket is almost directly on top of this (daft), but there's plenty of space above. They only needed to be installed an inch or so higher and all would have been fine. All I can say is, is wasn't me ...

I think that trying to move the sockets up, or generally replace, re-tile or re-work the kitchen will be expensive or troublesome. Whereas just replacing the 4 sockets involved would be simple and fairly cheap.

An extra 10mm might be enough, but I think I'll probably use regular white plastic (that way I can add those spacers Taylorwocites found if need be). My wife might prefer the metal ones, but having sockets we can actually use is a pretty compelling argument :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I kind of liked the idea of mounting them upsidedown!

The bottom of the socket is almost directly on top of this (daft), but there's plenty of space above. They only needed to be installed an inch or so higher and all would have been fine. All I can say is, is wasn't me ...
Could well be that the sockets were already there when the kitchen, or at least the worktop & upstand, was replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back