Two rubbish toilets inherited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved house recently and the two toilets I have inherited from the previous owners are, frankly, a bit pants. They can barely flush a piece of toilet paper let alone my son's irregular emissions, and both of them leak water down the back of the pan for a long time after each flush.

To fix the leaking problem I'm sure I could just replace a washer / the flush mechanism, but can I do anything about the poor performance? The water in the cistern doesn't seem to come very far up the inside from what I can tell, but this may be because modern toilets are limited to 6 litres.

I suppose another question would be - which of the Wickes or B&Q range of toilets offers a decent reliable flush. I don't much care what it looks like as long as it removes whatever is deposited within it.

Edit: Forgot to add, the toilet seat doesn't stay up on its own on the downstairs loo!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'll second on the Wickes ones, bought one as a temp replacement for home and it flushes very well. Think it was called Portobello or something like that. Cistern doesn't sit straight on the pan on mine, it leans forward, but it clears the curry

This is the turd vote :rolleyes: for Wickes bog in a box - I can flush #2s with the small volume button on mine - and by pressing the button slightly I can dilute #1s with about half a pint of water . Best bog I've seen in a long time . We need it here as we're on a meter and I have to water the garden ;)

Sponsored Links
I would try changing the flush unit to an aftermarket one they usually have an option for a larger flush to suit old toilets, crank it up and fiddly-dee as far as the regs are concerned. After all having to flush twice is hardly helping the planet is it?

I would try changing the flush unit to an aftermarket one they usually have an option for a larger flush to suit old toilets, crank it up and fiddly-dee as far as the regs are concerned. After all having to flush twice is hardly helping the planet is it?

Quite agree. I think everyone flushes twice. Modern toilets are designed for European pansies, not the good old British two pounder :LOL:

Quite agree. I think everyone flushes twice. Modern toilets are designed for European pansies, not the good old British two pounder :LOL:

I blame the continental breakfast! ;)

Anyone have a link to the Wicked wonder-bog? I've had a look at their website and there seem to be many

I always avoid Wickes like the plague because their plumbing fittings are on the steep side. However, I will have a look at that bog in a box. As it's recommended and comes fully assembled and ready for action and g'teed for 25 years - 50 notes sounds like a great deal.

Could be a few things, all easy enough to fix/replace. Could be washer on bottom of flush valve not seating correctly or prongs on bottom of push button too long and holding valve open. Most likely though will be that vvank armitage float valve, just replace that with a fluidmaster and alter water level in cistern to just below overflow level for a better flush

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back