Annoying beeping from alarm bell box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . I’m having a problem with my Pyronix Sterling 10 system with LCD keypad which was installed in June 2001 .
We rarely use it as there’s almost always somebody in but it always has worked ok .
Since around four weeks ago, every day for around six hours a day ( 4am to 10 am) we have been hearing a ( quite quiet) beep every 15 seconds from the box on the front of the house.
It’s driving us mad. Thankfully the neighbours don’t seem to have noticed it
Anyway, I googled the fault and through various sources established that it was probably the battery in the main panel which is situated in my airing cupboard.

Thinking the back up battery had probably deceased, I opened the panel and removed the Texecom 12v7AH battery 92001 (original 2001) and replaced with an equivalent( link below )
. I took a voltage reading from the new and old batteries and there was a marked difference in the readings so presumed the old battery was probably duff

[url]http://www.screwfix.com/p/sea... Electrical&gclid=CO6Vm9atjsUCFarKtAodQBUAXA.[/url]

I tested the alarm afterwards and all was well. Problem sorted I thought, BUT NO !
All went ok for around 5 days then suddenly the beeping has started again, same as before like a bird cheeping every 15 seconds from the bell box at the front of the house. I noticed it at around 4 am this morning.
So I’ve given up googling and come straight to the PEOPLEwho seem to know what they are talking about and hopefully put me on the right track…PLEASE !

Sorry for the long post !

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert but my alarm has a battery in the bell box as well as in the control unit. Maybe they have both gone.

I am not an expert but my alarm has a battery in the bell box as well as in the control unit. Maybe they have both gone.

Thanks , whats really baffling me is it's around the same time of the day and for the same period of time .
Why not all of the time . I wonder ?

Really don't know, maybe temperature, warmth from sunlight on the box giving the battery a boost. Or something you have accidentally programmed it to do while changing the battery.

Hopefully the real experts will be along later and explain it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the bell box battery is at fault here. You have a CQR Protecta which actively monitors the onboard battery for faults. They do sound an audible bleep when the battery has failed. You may also noticed that the two green LEDs on it have stopped alternating and have started flashing together to indicate a fault. A new NiCad battery will probably sort it, but given its age, for £30 or so, a nice shiny new box may be more economical in the long run.

It's usually corrosion in the bell box tamper switch. You need to get up to sort it.

Thanks for your help. If I am to buy a replacement bell box, how do I know that I'm buying the same spec box, bearing in mind that this is fairly old now.
Any guidelines please ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back