planning permission/building regulations - caravan chassis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,
bit of an unusual question, but could you use the foundations/concrete slab and residential caravan chassis 15ft wide/40ft long and then build to normal household building regs/planning permission rather tan one for a caravan site?

The logic is that the concrete slab and caravan chassis would be cheaper than a normal set of foundations. Chassis can take about 10 tons.

Construction of the house would be timber frame or sips with an 'acceptable' cladding (whatever planners would accept e.g. render, brick slips.

Graham

Sponsored Links
I'm sure some wise person on here will advise you why this isn't even possible under building regs, but have you also considered what would happen when you tried to sell? I would guess your building would be classed as "non standard construction" and be fairly unmortgageable. So any small amount of money you'd saved on construction would be as nothing compared to the loss of value on the property long term ......... :(

Thanks for the swift reply b3taman

The problems I had envisioned with planning permission are height and with construction, overall weight, rather than complying with building regs as such.

I'm 55 I want something warm, easy to self build and cheap - I don't care about getting a mortgage or the eventual value - if it lasts me 40 years until I die (max), job done.

The rest of any money goes on holidays and living, rather than housing!

rgds

Graham

OK glerwill - if you already have a site then maybe just put a decent mobile home on it - that'll last you 40 years if it's looked after, and cost about a third of a conventional bungalow!
Whether the planners will agree is another matter. Maybe tell them it's going to be a temporary measure until you build a permanent home - and then never get round to actually doing that :)

Sponsored Links
thats just it, I think - you would have to ask for PP for a single van caravan site - almost certain to be refused - wales has determined they have 'enough capacity, so no more. The plus side is construction rules for a residential van are a lot easier than building regs.

My theory is ask for PP for a 'long slim building plot' for a 'convential looking house' but build it up from the material described to meet normal BR....

Graham

AFAIK a mobile/park home has to be mobile ie. has small wheels attached to the chassis - despite coming in 2 halves and looking like a bungalow . So that when the lease expires they pull it off site and it's gone - don't ya just love leasehold :LOL:

AFAIK a mobile/park home has to be mobile ie. has small wheels attached to the chassis - despite coming in 2 halves and looking like a bungalow . So that when the lease expires they pull it off site and it's gone - don't ya just love leasehold :LOL:

Mobility has nothing to do with wheels. You have to show that it is designed such that it can be moved in one or 2 parts of a particular maximum size. It is not specified how it should move, or that it came to be on site by that method

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back