Installing dedicated sockets for washing machine and tumble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am currently looking to install two separate dedicated 13A sockets to my laundry room to power my washing machine and tumble dryer. It is a smallish sized room which currently has no sockets at present. I have found that the kitchen ring main wires (flow and return from consumer box) actually pass through the room (in trunking attached to the laundry wall through to kitchen). My question is; is it best to intercept the ring and add two sockets inline or would it be best to add two spurs via junction boxes.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Either is acceptable but the preferred method is to incorporate the new sockets"inline" into the ring.

If you are using junction boxes with screwed terminations they must remain accessible.

Brilliant thank you. Lastly am I right in thinking that a 13a double socket is not suited to run both appliances and two singles should be used due to the amount of amps drawn?

It is best to avoid having double gang sockets serving high load appliances and have single socket for each appliance.

My preferred method is to have above worktop/appliance isolation, if the sockets are to be located behind the appliances.
Also regulations will state the need for 30mA RCD protection for newly installed socket outlets, if the circuit is not already 30mA RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
My sockets are to be screwed to the wall next to the appliances so will be accessible. the ring main is protected my a 32ma rcd it seems at the consumer unit. Why is it not a good idea to use double gang sockets if two singles can be joined together on a ring with potentially a short cable to Join them together? Thanks for all of your help by the way!

Double sockets are only rated by their specification for a total of 20A. Two 13A sockets are rated at 26A. Whether it matters in practice may depend on the usage pattern.

As above a double socket is rated lower than two singles.
I have personally attended properties, where a double gang socket has been used in this fashion, and either there was signs of heat damage on the plate and plug or contacts have burnt out.
So best advised to use two singles or if you do not intend to use both simultaneously, then just put one single there and unplug and plug as required.

As above a double socket is rated lower than two singles.
I have personally attended properties, where a double gang socket has been used in this fashion, and either there was signs of heat damage on the plate and plug or contacts have burnt out.
So best advised to use two singles or if you do not intend to use both simultaneously, then just put one single there and unplug and plug as required.

Why spoil an excellent post with the poor advice in the last half of the last sentence?

Frequent plugging/unplugging causes wear and tear. Fit two singles.

1) Connecting to an existing ring is not what we refer to as dedicated. Although in theory you should have truly dedicated sockets i.e. from consumer unit on their own MCB/RCBO in practice it is rarely done.
2) To split the ring and add more sockets is normally the preferred way, however if there is no RCD protection using a fused connection unit will allow use of a RCD version and so give RCD protection.
3) With a standard double socket there is no problem in real terms using both washer and drier however if you use a RCD double socket the ratting is only 13A total so if you need to add RCD protection then either two single sockets with RCD built in or two RCD FCU's feeding to sockets.
4) For just two sockets then may as well if required be two single RCD sockets seems little point fitting a RCD FCU. If you wanted more than two and there is not RCD protection at the board then may be worth using RCD FCU.
5) If a modern consumer unit that will take a RCBO then that is a better option than RCD sockets or FCU's.
6) When you work on a ring final it is important to ensure it is still a ring testing is important.

Personally I would fit two single sockets. Mainly as when you cut the ring the cables will be too short and so using two sockets allows you to insert a small length between the two sockets. Nothing to do with loading just ease of fitting.

That is an MCB there may be RCD's fitted before the MCB in the same board.

Rules have changed and all NEW sockets need RCD protection so pictures of the whole board and hope some one can say if already RCD protected or if the MCB can be swapped for a RCBO.

It's that RCD which is all important in working out how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back