6 engineer visits and still boiler not fixed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 months ago my Worcester combo boiler failed to start but as I have British gas boiler cover I thought they'd fix it...
1st Engineer arrived diagnosed faulty fan (appeared to run fine) fitted new one but problem returned a week later!
2nd engineer arrived diagnosed faulty air pressure switch and replaced it but problem returned within a few days.
3rd engineer arrived diagnosed faulty tubes that go between fan and air switch and replaced them and at least this time I got 4 weeks before problem returned.
4th engineer arrived and diagnosed possible moisture in tubes and I think cleaned them out and this time got 2 weeks before problem returned.
5th engineer couldn't find problem as it started working before he arrived
6th engineer blew up one of the hoses and it worked for 2days

Everytime they arrive it's always the same... Might be time for new boiler and I'm getting lots of calls from them regarding replacement boiler but as it works fine most of the time I'm not ready to spend that sort of money.

Should also add I've had 2 visits from a local engineer who got boiler working in minutes by blowing up the rubber tubes but as I've got gas care cover I want British gas to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Give us a clue...which Worcester model?

Is it the old Junior?

A pic of the front would be useful.

Sponsored Links
AFAIA the only intermittent faults on these are down to the pcbs (there's 2 of them). I've had allsorts of weird problems with them. Normally replace both at the same time.

Think it was after the air pressure switch was fitted the engineer said if it happens again then tap this area around the PCB as I could be a sticky relay.
When it happened again I did but nothing changed until the engineer arrived and blew into the rubber hose which fixed it instantly!

The longest period it has worked for was when the hose got replaced to the air pressure switch (4 weeks)
It's currently working but no doubt in a few days it will fail again and will only work once someone arrives to blow up a tube!

Could I check externally to see if water is getting in anywhere and if so what I'm I looking for?

Both board been obsolete now for a couple of years. I'd be making sure pressure switch is fitted close to vertical at a slight angle to allow it to drop back to rest position on its stupid bracket.

Both board been obsolete now for a couple of years. I'd be making sure pressure switch is fitted close to vertical at a slight angle to allow it to drop back to rest position on its stupid bracket.

That will be the next thing from BG (it's your PCB) so you need a new boiler!

Could it be a fault with the PCB when every failure can be fixed by blowing up the air pressure hose?

Will also get the air pressure switch position checked out when next engineer visits... Thanks

Had a look outside where the flue exits the exterior wall and noticed under the rubber cover lots of mortar has crumbled!

Can this cause a problem with air pressure within the boiler or moisture issues?

Had a look outside where the flue exits the exterior wall and noticed under the rubber cover lots of mortar has crumbled!

Can this cause a problem with air pressure within the boiler or moisture issues?

No.

sounds like a problem of someone not understanding the concept of

PAST ITS USE BY DATE

nothing lasts forever.

get it shot.....get a decent new boiler.....forget about your boiler issues.

Yes, Andrew, but the 1st engineer is meant to have fitted a new fan!

I would have suspected dirty contacts on the air pressure switch ( APS ). But we are told the 2nd engineer replaced that too.

All this makes me think that perhaps BG did not actually fit a new fan/APS as we are told.

I do have to say that the 350 seems a very old boiler and the very few that I have seen have been in a pretty poor state and I have always fixed them but advised that they are really overdue for replacement. I have ended up with a new fan which I bought on spec after I had done a temporary repair by lubricating a sticking one. Evidently I did too good a temporary repair!

I am rather surprised that BG will still cover them on a maintenance contract.

Tony

Yes, Andrew, but the 1st engineer is meant to have fitted a new fan!

I would have suspected dirty contacts on the air pressure switch ( APS ). But we are told the 2nd engineer replaced that too.

All this makes me think that perhaps BG did not actually fit a new fan/APS as we are told.

I do have to say that the 350 seems a very old boiler and the very few that I have seen have been in a pretty poor state and I have always fixed them but advised that they are really overdue for replacement. I have ended up with a new fan which I bought on spec after I had done a temporary repair by lubricating a sticking one. Evidently I did too good a temporary repair!

I am rather surprised that BG will still cover them on a maintenance contract.

Tony

They will "cover" boilers of any age, but if parts are NLA, then it is game over. They won't scratch around to find a part, but of a punter supplies a new, manufacturer supplied part on a package, they will fit it. Certainly was the case a year or so ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back