Garden Wall Project - help required

Its up to you? live with the compromise of the extra falling section or scrape it back a bit.

You shouldn't need to hire the plate again as long as you just scratch at it with rakes and get it to 30mm. you can then just trample it back down flat and go over it a bit with your hand tamper.

If this doesn't work and you need to loosen it with a pickaxe or similar to remove a bit then you would need to re-compact it

So for option 3, would a 1:40 fall transverse on that section, along with the existing 1:60 longitudinal fall on the same section be too much?

Should we be ruling out option 2 completely?

Sponsored Links
You will find it very difficult to meet a section of paving that falls one way against another with two falls when laying slabs without having diagonal cuts like you would see on pavements when they come to a crossing or dropped kerb.

If you don't use diagonal cuts (which look awful) then you have to gradually bluff the slabs to take up the difference but you will end up with little lips at th edges of flags which will be noticable and perhaps a slight trip hazard depending on how well/ badly you do it

20mm is not enough.

Do as i suggested with the sub base or try the extra fall, i would rather rake back the sub base and have it all right.

You will find it very difficult to meet a section of paving that falls one way against another with two falls when laying slabs without having diagonal cuts like you would see on pavements when they come to a crossing or dropped kerb.

If you don't use diagonal cuts (which look awful) then you have to gradually bluff the slabs to take up the difference but you will end up with little lips at th edges of flags which will be noticable and perhaps a slight trip hazard depending on how well/ badly you do it

20mm is not enough.

Do as i suggested with the sub base or try the extra fall, i would rather rake back the sub base and have it all right.

Ok, we're going to scrape the sub-base back to get between 30-40mm for the mortar bed. Your last comment struck a chord - we've spent too long on this to get it wrong so an extra day or so to scrape the sub base back a little is worth it to get the job right.

How uniform does the sub base need to be in terms of levels I.e. How much of a tolerance in depth is there allowed to be, away from our target 40mm for the mortar bed

I.e. is the sub base allowed to deviate +/-5mm from this (so a 35-45mm depth of mortar)? Or +/-10mm giving a 30-50mm depth of mortar?

Sponsored Links
+/- 10mm is ok as long as your going for a 40mm bed. If your going tighter like 30mm then +/-5mm

Have laid some flags on a wet mix mortar and ended up with what I'm pretty sure looks like the "picture framing" phenomenon.

Is there anything that can be done with this, other than lifting the flags back up and relaying fresh ones?

Some pics attached.

311l1yd.jpg

293vhmx.jpg

25ovzg6.jpg

3354f2w.jpg

Its hard to see on the images, there is no cure for picture framing. depending on the flag they do sometimes fade but with some they don't so much.

A bit of weathering will hide the worst of it. If you have spare flags and cant live with it then relay them.

Thanks r896neo. Yeah for some reason the pics aren't coming out well in terms of contrast.

These ones taken later this evening seem to demonstrate it a bit better (see below). It is quite bad so I think we're going to have to lift them.

On reflection, the mortar mix I had used was quite wet, definitely a wet mix with high slump. Could this be the issue? Ie would a moist or semi dry mix solve the problem?

2nhn76b.jpg

2lb25nt.jpg

Anyone able to help with this.

Remarkably, the "picture framing" seems to have disappeared following rain!!!

No need to haunch really if laying on a wet mix. its worth a little haunch but nothing major.

You really want to lay your slabs near the steps on a wet mix or you risk them not bonding well. Using SBr or the bond bridge technique on paving expert will also help.

Picture framing can be avoided by making sure the slabs are a little damp and kept damp as laying proceeds. this stops them absorbing water and therefore cement. It more commonly a pointing problem though.

A moist mix will be usable for 3ish hours depending on conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back