Which American style fridge/freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but I hope someone can offer some advice.

We are looking to purchase an American style fridge freezer but dont know if any are more reliable than others. In the past we have had seperate fridges and freezers from Bosch, Hotpoint, Creda, Zanussi etc and have never really had what I would call a satisfactorily reliable appliance. All have had something go wrong after a couple of years (with the exception of our Bosch freezer) and so we are a bit retiscent on spending around £1K on something that may keep going wrong.

Can anyone recommend a decent one ? We want as much space as possible, so dont want something that has an ice cube maker that takes up both space in the door and in the main part of the freezer (some seem to have all the workings in the door, so you get an extra shelf at the top of the freezer) .

thanks...

Sponsored Links
I'm a fridge engineer and I would'nt buy one, they have too many components that are sure to break as soon as your gaurentee runs out.

American fridges should stay in America. ;)

If you are hell bent on getting one, they are all basically the same inside.

You pay your money, you take your chance :LOL:

Have to disagree with racket here. Stand alones have a compressor, thermistor, pcb, fans, heaters and work on the same prinicple as the side by sides. Think about it, to make the "American style" they've taken the fridge off the top, put it alongside and made them bigger. No difference except in size. Some have the extras such as ice maker and water dispenser, some don't. You have a choice.
Samsung and LG machines are Korean, Whirlpool, for the UK, are made in Italy.
My preference is the Whirlpool, bit more expensive but definitely better quality.
If you do go for one of these machines, spare parts are very expensive so keep the machine on some sort of warranty.

Stand alones have a compressor, thermistor, pcb, fans, heaters and work on the same

This applies to frost free, I'm on about non frost free fridge and freezers

Sponsored Links
My apologies. I did however compare like for like and wrongly assumed you had done the same. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back