is 2.5mm2 cable fine from cooker switch to CCU?

I'm on a Diy Forum???
Then please stop what you are doing before you hurt yourself or someone else.
Is that your general advice to all DIYers who ask questions here?

Kind Regards, John

Of course not. If they have some knowledge, the correct tools and test equipment then no issues.

Ok:

1. Has the external earth loop impedance been verified as satisfactory?
2. Has the op given consideration to live / dead working procedures?
3. Is the main bonding sufficient?
4. What installation method is being used?
5. Is the op capable of carrying out an earth loop impedance test to ascertain whether the OCPD is operating within limits set out in BS7671?
6. Is part P notification required?

All these should be answered before any advice should be given.

Sponsored Links
If I didn't know I was capable of handling this I wouldn't have started I'm really on here to make sure I do a decent job. (far better than just thinking I know everything and just sticking cables anywhere) so far with the help from this forum I'm running the cables in the correct horizontal and vertical zones, using the correct mm2 it's not rocket science if you're willing to learn..

If I didn't know I was capable of handling this I wouldn't have started I'm really on here to make sure I do a decent job. (far better than just thinking I know everything and just sticking cables anywhere) so far with the help from this forum I'm running the cables in the correct horizontal and vertical zones, using the correct mm2 it's not rocket science if you're willing to learn..

Ok excellent. Let's help.

Firstly can you answer all my questions above? Because no one should give you advice until this information is answered because it will alter the advice you are given?

Sponsored Links
I think you're on the wrong forum, as the name suggests this is for diyers... My house is only 20 years old, has a modern fuse box with RCD and for the record I will be getting my handy work checked by a sparky before plastering over...

I think you're on the wrong forum, as the name suggests this is for diyers... My house is only 20 years old, has a modern fuse box with RCD and for the record I will be getting my handy work checked by a sparky before plastering over...

So it is ok for DIYers to get hurt?

So it is ok for DIYers to get hurt?

I think you've been lurking here awhile, noted b-a-s's posts and though that you'd jump in with what you believe is the same approach that he has.
While I've not always agreed with b-a-s, his heart has always been in the right place and his advice (when he deigns to offer it) tends to be correct.

You, in your 13 posts, have been way off. When you've offered advice it's been wacky at best, incorrect at worst. And you've weighed in with your opinion and belittling of posters with nowhere near the reputation that our oft-maligned b-a-s has earned.

If you want to contribute then do us all the courtesy of sitting back and analysing what works and what doesn't, then offer constructive advice to posters.
Simply shouting that you know better than them is not going to get your point across, especially when your advice is woefully inadequate.

That'll save us a bit of time.
Indeed it would. In fact, it would save us so much time that we might as well close the forum!

One BAS is more than enough. If this is going to persist, I seriously think that I may have to 'consider my position'.

Kind Regards, John

I'm on a Diy Forum???
Then please stop what you are doing before you hurt yourself or someone else.
Is that your general advice to all DIYers who ask questions here?
Of course not. If they have some knowledge, the correct tools and test equipment then no issues. Ok:
<List of questions>
As has been observed, you appear to be attempting to emulate the position and tediously-repetitive approach of a very long-standing member of this forum and, although you may well be just as well-intentioned as him, you should IMO learn from his example that the approach really doesn't work and, indeed, has the capacity to be counter-productive.

Most DIYer questions asked here relate to fairly minor work and, in relation to that, the vast majority would 'fail' your question 5. If your (strictly correct) approach was applied, that would make it a lot easier for those who choose to spend time answering questions, since there would be virtually no questions that they would be prepared to answer, so that the forum might just as well close.

Kind Regards, John

After reading into it a little further it looks like screw junction blocks have to be accessible for future maintenance and inspection as they may become loose, I am therefore buying a decent crimping tool with insulated connectors, staggering them and heat shrinking to finish the job...

None of my advice has been incorrect.

Not one person on here even asked whether the op had test equipment to ascertain if the circuit they were to work on was safe.

With the recent 3rd ammendment close it should be even more prevalent to ensure the high standard of electrical workmanship is carried out.

The rise in domestic fires due to poor electrical works is alarming.

There are many posts on here I have felt the need to stay away from because yes, they are minor jobs but the op here seems to be carrying out some pretty major works which involve the installation of new circuits and altering existing ones.

That'll save us a bit of time.
Indeed it would. In fact, it would save us so much time that we might as well close the forum!

One BAS is more than enough. If this is going to persist, I seriously think that I may have to 'consider my position'.

Kind Regards, John

What are you suggesting? That poor advice should be given just to give this forum a life?

If you do not already own a decent crimping tool, then it may work out better to simply perhaps some maintenance free joint boxes https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html These can then be made inaccessible in the same way that crimps can.
Good thought - but, unfortunately, those MF JBs (and I'm not aware of any others) will not take (are not meant to take) 6mm² conductors.

If the cable is not to be replaced (which it should be), that would only really leave crimping, and I would certainly not advise anyone to create inaccessible crimped joints unless they had a lot of experience of doing it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back