Electric supply to my workshop/outbuilding advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i'm proposing to build a large garage workshop building with an upstairs attic rooms in my back garden. The building measures 14m x 7m
so about the size of a bungalow.

What i need to know is: would I be allowed to run an electric supply from my existing meter to the proposed outbuilding, or would I need to get a completely separate supply, meaning two standing charges and two electric bills?

Sponsored Links
The supply will come from your existing meter, and it will all be the same bill.

There's a lot of work to be done, though, and you'll need building control approval and a qualified electrician to design and fit the new circuit(s).

...would I be allowed to run an electric supply from my existing meter to the proposed outbuilding...

Re that specific question, in theory you would be allowed to run the supply but in practise you'd be unlikely to get building control sign-off unless you are an electrician (which I'm guessing you're not, hence the question). So you'll need to get an electrician on board (not least architect, structural engineer, etc)

Sponsored Links
Depending on the equipment to be used in the workshop you may need to arrange an upgrade of your supply.

If you intend to operate motors or other equipment ( such as welders ) that are more than 1 kW then you will need to notify the DNO supplying your property. The in-rush or starting current can be high and cause a voltage dip on the network that will affect your neighbours.

I have an electrician who will sign it off, he's done work for me before.
If you mean that you'll do the work and he'll sign it off, that's not legal. But that's all another question, much discussed on this forum.

But why do i need a structural engineer and architect for electrics?
Because of this;

Hi guys, i'm proposing to build a large garage workshop building with an upstairs attic rooms in my back garden. The building measures 14m x 7m
so about the size of a bungalow.

Apologies - I'm answering questions you've not asked. Can I intrude and ask whether you're contracting someone in to do the build or whether you're planning to do it all yourself? If the latter then you really should consider the building control ramifications. Good luck with the project, though!

I WILL get building control involved, i have no choice, but yes, i plan to build this project myself (with the help of friends)

I recently rewired my house (old house i was renovating and extending) I had to get building control involved, and had to pay around £500 for the council to appoint an electrician to inspect my work and sign it off, which he did do. It is this same electrician i propose to use for inspecting my electrical work on my proposed building.

The electrical use of this building is is not heavy, i plan to use all led lighting, and the rest will be for office equipment, kettle, and small appliances such as tv's, dvd etc. so at most i'll probably be drawing around 4-5kw at any one time when the kettle's on!

But that's no what the OP is suggesting, so skotl was correct with what he said.

At least two local authorities do NOT have their own electricians able to examine and certify electrical installations. Probably that is true of many more LABCs

Part P was dropped on us. Part P inspections and certifications require an extensive skill base in electrics. That skill base is larger than the skill bases for all the other parts put together. money isn't there to maintain that skill base.

At least two local authorities do NOT have their own electricians able to examine and certify electrical installations. Probably that is true of many more LABCs
Indeed. My understanding is that very few, if any, LABCs actually have their own electricians.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back