painting the front of the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals. The front of my victorian semi is looking a bit rough and ready. The paint is starting to peel and i have been putting it off. Cant do it anymore it needs painting. Obviously i need to wirebrush and scrape all the old paint off and then sand down the rough edges etc. But before i paint im guessing i need to use something on the bald patches prior to painting so that the new paint adheres properly and also so it blends in with the rest of the paint. its a tall victoria property with some kind of flat Rendered wall. Any ideas?? Never done this before so dont want to make it look rubbish. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Zinsser Bullseye 123 is a good primer and can be tinted to most colours a trade outlet like Brewers will be happy to tint it for you. I have had Dulux colours matched in the past.

Zinsser Bullseye 123 is a good primer and can be tinted to most colours a trade outlet like Brewers will be happy to tint it for you. I have had Dulux colours matched in the past.

Im just going for white but didnt want the bare patches where i have removed old paint to show through once i have finished

Fine it comes in white as standard, but use the same tool (brush roller etc) for touching in as the finished coat to get the same texture. You will need two top coats as almost certainly any primer will dry slightly differently to a top coat so any patches may still "Flash" through after a top coat.

Smooth coatings look whiter than textured ones but textured ones disguise better.

Sponsored Links
Fine it comes in white as standard, but use the same tool (brush roller etc) for touching in as the finished coat to get the same texture. You will need two top coats as almost certainly any primer will dry slightly differently to a top coat so any patches may still "Flash" through after a top coat.

Smooth coatings look whiter than textured ones but textured ones disguise better.

Brilliant so just get rid of old paint. Sand rough edges down. Make sure dry and clean then use primer on bald patches and then 2 coats of something like sandtex textured white. nice one. Im guessing that is a 2day job for me and a friend?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back