Damned Designs

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been watching 'Damned Designs' that I recorded from Channel 4 on 11 May.

I do understand the need for planning permission, but some of the decisions made by local councils seem quite petty to me. For example, there was the famous 'castle' that the owner hid behind giant bales of hay (I'm sure you must have heard about it). Despite there being no complaints by his neighbours, the council pursued a several year campaign which eventually ended up with Eric Pickles and resulted in the building having to be demolished. I think the only complainant was a woman who objected to having to see the building as she drove along a distant road. For God's sake woman, just don't look!

Then there was a ridiculous model of a large shark having nose-dived into a house roof in Oxford. The owner claimed it is a 'sculpture' and, as far as I know, it's still there despite being a real eyesore.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to these decisions by self-opinionated councillors. For each of the several examples shown on the programme, I found myself asking myself:

- Does the owner own the land?
- Have any neighbours objected?
- Is the structure dangerous?
- Is the structure causing any detriment to the value of neighbouring properties?

The reasons these councils give for their decisions are sometimes quite arbitrary.

Then it occurred to me that, at the same time, they seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to P i k e y s' caravan sites, frequently strewn with rubbish and a definite eyesore!

Sponsored Links
It's all to do with 'precedence'. Allow one - and you have to allow them all.

Of course it's true. If that particular council had allowed that structure to stand, and granted it retrospective planning permission after the devious attempts to get round the planning laws by the chancer who built it, they may as well have scrapped the planning laws and declared it open season for everyone to build whatever grotesque creation they could come up with.
It's called upholding standards. But you're not really into that are you judging by your reaction to those other chancers in the H&S thread.
You really are thick. boyo! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The real crux of the problem is that the Green Belt is too extensive and far larger than envisaged in the original post-War legislation.

Presumably had we had Green Belts centuries ago, Blenheim, Chatsworth, Hardwick and all the rest would never have been built.

They would have been regarded as out of character with the labourer's cottages nearby.

Yeah, me legs aching from all the arze kickings I've been giving you lately. :LOL: :mrgreen:

I just can't comprehend how anyone can go to the trouble of building a complete house but don't get planning permission first. Ok, I agree that councils can be really ****tish in refusing retro permission and that some of the properties they demolish are superb but who in their right mind wouldn't get permission first.

A ***** castle, now that would give them a dilemma.

Have to admit JBR, I agree with what's being said here. If there were no regulations regarding planning permission, the country would soon be inundated with a hotch potch of buildings all over the place. As well as extensions to existing properties. Ask yourself, would you like it if your neighbour extended his property right up to your house, blocking off a large amount of light (and possibly depreciating the value of your property at the same time) ??

I just can't comprehend how anyone can go to the trouble of building a complete house but don't get planning permission first. Ok, I agree that councils can be really t**t in refusing retro permission and that some of the properties they demolish are superb but who in their right mind wouldn't get permission first.

Apparently, you can't type p-I--k-e--y castle

I just can't comprehend how anyone can go to the trouble of building a complete house but don't get planning permission first. Ok, I agree that councils can be really t**t in refusing retro permission and that some of the properties they demolish are superb but who in their right mind wouldn't get permission first.

Apparently, you can't type p-I--k-e--y castle

I discovered that too. I simply left spaces! What's the point of such ineffective censorship?

Have to admit JBR, I agree with what's being said here. If there were no regulations regarding planning permission, the country would soon be inundated with a hotch potch of buildings all over the place. As well as extensions to existing properties. Ask yourself, would you like it if your neighbour extended his property right up to your house, blocking off a large amount of light (and possibly depreciating the value of your property at the same time) ??

Yes, I agree with all of that, and the existence of the need for planning permission, but not always with the way they are implemented.

I recall on property on that programme that was denied. The owners enlarged their existing house by about 100% into surrounding land which they owned, then applied for retrospective PP (admittedly, they should have applied beforehand).

The extended house, which looked fantastic to me and could hardly be described as an eyesore, was nowhere near any other properties, being quite isolated within a large area of land belonging to the house owners. Neither had any neighbours complained.

In the programme, the council gave no explanation for refusal other than the large increase in size. I got the impression that the council were just a bit annoyed that the owners had failed to ask permission before extending.

It is this petty bureaucracy that annoys me.

I knew a chap who bought a plot of land. On the land was a small copse of about half a dozen trees. He sought PP to build two houses on the land and permission was refused because of the trees. He asked a local councillor what he could do? The advice given was that the trees were the problem, so if the trees were cut down he'd be granted PP. He took a chainsaw to them on Sunday morning. On the Monday the council came round and he ended up in court for chopping them down, was fined a measly £6000 (£1k per tree) . Immediately put back in for PP and surprise, surprise, PP was granted. The councillor he'd got the advice off, was also on the planning committee. Hmmmmm ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back