Slab will not stick down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've laid 47 sqm of patio and I've had a few which needed relaying. THe others are solid as a rock. I laid them on to compacted hardcore using 6 to 1 mix.

However for reasons which defeat me I have laid this tile 6 times and not once has it even remotely stuck down. I've tried 2 tiles but that made no difference. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong or more importantly what I need to do right to lay it!

On another note you see I've got some raised steps which need slabs laying on them. Should I be using a different mix for these because the base is concrete?

Many thanks

Justin View media item 94436 View media item 94437

Sponsored Links
I suspect the mix is dry and wetting the back of the slab will help.

It was a wetter mix and I did wet the back of the tile.
I've been told to use a latex adhesive on the back of the slab. I've only used that for putting up tiles on the wall

You could try a bit of waterproof pva brushed on the back and maybe a bit in the mix but I can't see why it is not sticking with a damp slab and wet mix :confused:

Sponsored Links
if you have got steps to do too then buy a tub of sbr and coat the back of the slab with a slurry of 1 part cement to 1 part sbr to 1 part water. then lay the flag while its still sticky.

For the steps do the same to the concrete base and add about 100ml of sbr to your gauge of mortar.

I tend to go 1cement to 5 sharp sand mix but some say as weak as 10 to 1 so I don't think your 6 to 1 is the problem I would use the same for steps myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back