Gurgling sink problem....advice needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...I have a gurgling sink problem,when we empty the sink in the kitchen the sink in the utility room gurgles basically every time,it is just the utility room sink no other noises from other sinks or when toilets flush etc etc just the one sink,we have recently had a dishwasher installed next to the sink and since then the gurgling noise seems to have started ( I cannot remember it happening before that but I may be wrong) I have checked for blockages in sink pipe work & outside venting pipe on the roof and no blockages found,I have now discovered that the sink pipe work may need a vent of its own as the gurgling could be caused by some kind of air siphoning,I am willing to try this but where would I put the actual vent fitting ?...I am enclosing a pic of pipe work under the sink so could someone please advise as to where to fit the vent fitting? As I do not want to try to fit it to high or to low, many many thanks in advance. //www.diynot.com/network/worcesterman47/albums/

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, can you tell me if I need a vent with a connection already attached to connect the dishwasher to (as in pic) if they exist of course ?,or would the vent go in a different place and not affect the dishwasher connection ?....I will sort out trap for washing machine pipe later ...also can you tell from pic what size vent I would need to order ?....many thanks again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi hopefully final question....so I would Not touch the fitting attached to dishwasher pipe but I would cut a piece out of the straight down pipe after the P trap and insert the vent there ? Yes. The pipe measures 1 1/2"

Do know though, given the dishwater waste is installed directly below the sink waste, before the trap, you will get some noise coming from the sink waste when the dishwasher empties.
Are you absolutely sure it only occurs when the sink drains and not when the dishwasher empties? I would have expected it to have been evident before the dishwasher waste was fitted.

yes, you would fit it onto the vertical pipe after the trap

Also if anyone can help.....I need one of these but this company does not sell to the public....anyone have any links where I can buy one ....thanks again in advance......http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/air-admittance-valves/ventapipe/ventapipe-25-air-admittance-valve-with-integral-1-189-multifit-tee.html?id=90&cat=90

That style of admittance valve can only be installed in a horizontal line. If you wish to install in the vertical you will need a T piece, an elbow and a vertical admittance valve. Alternatively you could use the horizontal model but you'll still need a T-piece and a plug for the free end of the admittance valve.

Worcester, apologies, I have to admit that Jack may be right. :oops:

There used to be ones available that used a rubber diaphragm that held the valve shut, opening under vacuum allowing them to fitted vertically. On closer inspection of the tech drawing this one now seems to be gravity sealed.

So as Jack suggests a T with a vertical AAV may be required, alternatively use the same valve but place it inline on the horizontal waste pipe run in between the main sink and utility.

Hi guys,thanks....I cannot place it horizontally onto the run in pipe as it is behind fitted cupboards and I cannot access it,so if possible could someone point me in the right direction to get the parts I need please,I want to put the vent on the vertical pipe as that's so much easier to access, so any links for the items I need would be very very much appreciated, the pipes are 1 1/2". Many many thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back