Gurgling sink problem....advice needed please.

OK, 2 ways of doing it depending on pipe type. If it was solvent then we could use a branch but given that it looks like you have compression/push fits then the only way would be as Jack suggests.

Fit a T into the vertical section, small piece of horizontal pipe into an elbow, then a vertical piece of pipe from that and then top off with one of these :-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/McAlpine-Ve...e-with-1-1-2in-Universal-Outlet-VP2W/p/227126

Get the valve as high as poss, at least above the level of the water seal in the trap if you can.

Sponsored Links
Ah Madrab.....now I think I see what I should do....thank you for that explanation....so I have to get. ...a T connection ( fit that into vertical pipe )........an elbow to fit into outlet on T connection.....then a small bit of pipe inserted vertical into elbow.....then the Valve inserted into top of small bit of vertical pipe.....as high as is possible ......yes ? ...I'm pretty sure that's what you are saying but I want to be sure, many thanks again in advance

Now you've got it.

You can get push-in fittings for the T and the elbow but to be honest you'd be better off using compression fittings. They are slightly bulkier but easier to work with in confined spaces. The T will have a bias to the branch connection. Fit it so that the branch bias flows down the way

When the AAV is actually working (during a draining operation) you might hear a very slight rattle from it as its valve mechanism opens to let air in. That's assurance that it's doing what it's designed to do.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,ok one final question......I now have all the bits of pipe work and the vent valve,my question is can I put Tee connection anywhere on the down pipe as long as the vent is connected as high above the water trap as I can get it ?.....I only ask as the bulk of sink draining pipes are situated close to underside of the sink so that makes things difficult for getting the extra pipe work through....cheers again guys for any advice/help.

Yes, anywhere in the vertical. Just make sure the vent valve is as high as possible. This to ensure there is minimal possibility of the vent flapper getting wet should the outlet pipe be slow at draining.

Hi again guys,just been idling the time away reading up on vent valves and noticed these two descriptions..........McAlpine Air Admittance Valve Ventapipe 25 1.5" VP2W Durgo type.......And ............McAlpine Air Admittance Valve Ventapipe 25 1.5" VP2W ( without the Durgo bit on the end ). Are these the same thing or are they different items ? And more to the point which is the correct one for me to use (if there is a difference ? )... Many thanks again in advance. 😁

Can't find a VP2W without the durgo (Air admittance Valve - AAV) on the end?? It wouldn't be a VP2W then?? Not too sure what you are asking.

The VP2W is a single durgo type valve with a universal end and that is the one you need

You need the AAV to alleviate the vacuum that is caused when you drain the sink, that creates the gurgling (vacuum in the pipe sucking air down through the P trap). Therefore it requires the AAV on the end to allow the air in when needed but then seals the waste pipe when not needed, stopping drain smells entering the room.

Thanks Madrab,I only ask as when I was searching for them previously I found one on eBay which said VP2W etc but it said in brackets at the end Durgo type............but then I found one at Wickes with exactly the same description But no mention of Durgo type added.......so that confused me a little,but now I know they are one and the same thing......many many thanks once again 👍

Yup, a durgo is just another name for the type of auto air vent on the top, some descriptions mention it, others don't, but they should all have the vent.

Recommend McAlpine, other types may be cheaper but normally have higher failure/sticking rates and lower quality. Worth the few extra pence IMO.

Yep,I got the McAlpine one cheers, just sat now taking a few deep breaths before commencement of " Operation Sink Pipe " begins. 👍. 😁

Will be no bother for you I'm sure, just get your measurements correct and leave enough of the vertical pipe to get it fully into the T without stretching, and clean and deburr the cut faces with sandpaper so it doesn't damage the seals.

Just use the old adage of measure twice, cut once :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back