Sealing bib tap threads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time back I fitted new bib taps, with upstands, in my kitchen. The taps screw horizontally into the upstands. Anyone know how I can stop the cold tap from weeping at the join?

So far I've tried PTFE in the threads. I've tried clear sanitary silicone in the threads and as a washer on the mating surface (allowed to go off). I've tried Fernox LS-X in the threads and on the mating surfaces. Not at the same time, you understand. None has been watertight.

Locktite 55?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Is there a flat face where the tap mates to the upstand? If so a 1/2" rubber washer could be used.
If it's flush then it should be a tapered thread and you may want to try Gas PTFE, it's thicker than normal tape and may be more suitable.
Has it always leaked? You may have compromised the threads by using too much tape previously.

Is there a flat face where the tap mates to the upstand? If so a 1/2" rubber washer could be used.
If it's flush then it should be a tapered thread and you may want to try Gas PTFE, it's thicker than normal tape and may be more suitable.
Has it always leaked? You may have compromised the threads by using too much tape previously.

Hello and thanks.

Interesting point about the washer. I was able to seal the leaking hot tap by using a washer on the flat face, because without it the tap isn't upright when screwed fully home into the upstand. However, the cold tap lands upright without a washer, but lands askew with one. So I can't use a washer. I'll try gas PTFE though.

It's always leaked - I put the taps in a month or so ago and have had them apart three times - twice to try silicone and once the Fernox.

The first time I did use about a dozen turns of PTFE, and I did apply it in the right direction ;)

Cheers
Richard

Hemp and boss white :idea: stuff the alleged breeding of bacteria :rolleyes: . The tap will stay where you put it and there are millions of connections like it in use.

Sponsored Links
Given that I'm unlikely to want to remove the tap from the upstand, would it be the height of stupidity to fix it with Araldite or a two-part resin?

Can you tell I'm not a plumber? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Richard

Lol...let me tell you, seen worse.

Trouble is if it doesn't seal first time, entirely likely with epoxy on metal, then you can have a mare of a time cleaning it to try again. An epoxy putty can sometimes be used but again a nightmare if it doesn't seal 1st time.

Lol...let me tell you, seen worse.

Trouble is if it doesn't seal first time, entirely likely with epoxy on metal, then you can have a mare of a time cleaning it to try again. An epoxy putty can sometimes be used but again a nightmare if it doesn't seal 1st time.

I won't do that.

In theory the gas PTFE ought to work. The past failure with PTFE is probably operator error.

What about Locktite 55, which I saw mentioned when I searched the forum?

Cheers
Richard

Get the gas PTFE.
Wind it on the the thread in a taper - i.e. overlap it more as you get to the body of the tap, so that as you screw the tap in, there is more tape there to seal.

Do not use epoxy or similar - you will regret it.

Get the gas PTFE.
Wind it on the the thread in a taper - i.e. overlap it more as you get to the body of the tap, so that as you screw the tap in, there is more tape there to seal.

Do not use epoxy or similar - you will regret it.

Thanks. I've noticed the Everbuild gas PTFE is "One Wrap" - should I ignore that and wind lots on anyway?

Cheers
Richard

No, don't wrap on lots, you can have the scenario were you actually break the female fitting trying to tighten it too much. You should be using just enough whereby you aren't actually needing to tighten the fitting right up to the end of the thread to make it watertight. Too tight and it wont seal as it strips all the PTFE off the thread.
It's hard to describe how tight it should feel, it's an experience thing if you know what I mean, how loose it feels without tape etc.
Start off with 3 or four turns and see how you go, would be my advice.

No, don't wrap on lots, you can have the scenario were you actually break the female fitting trying to tighten it too much. You should be using just enough whereby you aren't actually needing to tighten the fitting right up to the end of the thread to make it watertight. Too tight and it wont seal as it strips all the PTFE off the thread.
It's hard to describe how tight it should feel, it's an experience thing if you know what I mean, how loose it feels without tape etc.
Start off with 3 or four turns and see how you go, would be my advice.

OK, thanks. The only slight issue with that is that unless I tighten it to the end of the thread, the tap isn't upright.

these are the taps:

http://www.bristandepot.co.uk/plumbing/RSBIBC.jpg

Cheers
Richard

Sorry didn't mean to confuse, what I meant by that is that it shouldn't need to be tightened fully to become watertight, not that you then couldn't tighten fully to line up.

I've just re-done the tap with gas PTFE, and so far it's not leaking. Gas PTFE may be my new favourite thing ;)

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back