Blow back in apartment plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have owned from new, a ground floor apartment in a block that has two other apartments above. The condensing outlet for the gas boiler has been plumbed into the pipes under the sink. The condensing tank has been filling up and overflowing. The outlet pipe from the tank follows a complicated route behind a tiled wall and behind the back of the kitchen cupboards so it is difficult to get at. The problem seems to be a mysterious blow back that pushes up the water in the kitchen sink U bed with a gurgling noise. I think this is what is pushing up the waste water into the condensing unit and eventually overflowing. Can anybody tell me what might be causing this blow-back? It must be something from the upstairs apartments as this happens when all water functions in my apartment are not used.

Sponsored Links
I think you'd be better off if this were posted in the Plumbing forum, but just for my four penn'orth, Google 'air-break'.

Sponsored Links
If you can see where the 22mm pipe joins the kitchen waste pipe, cut it and shove a wire coat hanger up to clear (there will probably be spillage). Failing that you may have to repipe, did loads of these recently on new build (mainly with ICOS's fitted). Unless someone knows a chemical solution that will clear the blockage.

I can think of more pleasant blow-backs. ;)

Just make sure it's not from an old boiler. ;)

OP, as above maybe a blockage, most likely partial, in pipework. Opening the pipe and using a wet vac can sometimes suck it out. Doh! We're back to the double entendres. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back