Are the Tories toughing up?

The Post Office are con merchants. They charge for the checking service on top of the actual passport fee. You don't need it. All you need to do is to fill the application out and enclose what you need then seal the envelope.

Go to the counter and ask for it to be sent 'signed for'. Costs less than £2.

Don't be conned into them charging you to check it and don't be conned into the exorbitant cost of special delivery.

Seems to me that ever since the Post Office was franchised, they try and con you into spending more than you need on things - especially special delivery.

As for courier delivery, mine was just posted through the letterbox!!

Sponsored Links
The Post Office are con merchants. They charge for the checking service on top of the actual passport fee. You don't need it. All you need to do is to fill the application out and enclose what you need then seal the envelope.

Don't be conned into them charging you to check it and don't be conned into the exorbitant cost of special delivery.

Seems to me that ever since the Post Office was franchised, they try and con you into spending more than you need on things - especially special delivery.

Trying to sell you services is not a con :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

Trying to sell you services is not a con but telling you that you NEED a particular service when you don't IS IMHO.

jockscott was clearly told that he NEEDED the passport checking service and that it needed to be sent by special delivery. This extra service is £9.75. He didn't need either and could have achieved the same end result by using the signed for service which costs less than £2.

By way of examples where personal experience suggests they are conning people..

When I went to post my passport application at the main post office, I was told I needed the checking service and special delivery. I wasn't told I had any options. However, I was well aware that I didn't need either and insisted that the application was sent by signed for which cost me the grand total of £1.77 rather than £9.75. I checked that the application had been received the following day (online) and it had been received and signed for. As an aside, my new passport came within 10 days which was just as quick as their alleged 'premium' service.

On a separate occasion, I went to a sub post office to post my old driving licence (paper one) back to DVLA. A women in front of me was posting a parcel back to a catalogue company and I heard the conversation with the teller. The woman said she needed proof that the item arrived back at the company. The teller told he she needed special delivery which came to about £10. The woman wasn't told she had the option of the much cheaper signed for service which would have cost around £3. When I arrived at the counter, I was also told I needed special delivery which, yet again, was not true. I insisted on signed for and paid the much lower cost. Again, I checked online the following day and the letter has been received at DVLA.

To come back to your original point, trying to sell you a service may not be a con but telling you that you NEED a particular service without giving you an alternative and without explaining the options IS a con IMHO.

Your opinion may differ of course.

Flew from London City to Edinburgh a few weeks back. I use BA and they DO NOT require a passport for such an internal domestic flight.

However, I saw that Sleazyjet DOES require photo ID

All down to the airline

So jockscott could have flown to Scotland if he'd have chosen a different airline.

But he wanted to fly to London!

:D

I suppose he would have had a problem checking the car in as baggage if he tried flying back to Scotland!

CaMoron has changed his rhetoric already just a couple of weeks after the general election. Before the election he was saying that we need to reduce immigration into the UK. Yesterday on tv, he was saying that we need to address ILLEGAL immigration into the UK.

CaMoron has changed his rhetoric already just a couple of weeks after the general election. Before the election he was saying that we need to reduce immigration into the UK. Yesterday on tv, he was saying that we need to address ILLEGAL immigration into the UK.

Again, a non-specific promise.
Even so, nett immigration has risen to almost an all-time high of nearly 350,000. Not the tens of thousands he promised.

I think Cameron has only ever 'promised' to reduce net immigration.

As he can do nothing about actual legal immigration, that means the only way he can fulfil his stupid promise is to persuade more of us to leave.

I am open to offers.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
It's true. I hate to say this, but Joe is right.

It seems that the more immigration from East Europe and the Third World, the more emigration of Brits.

British emigrants are probably in the majority people who have something to offer, be it money or skills. Most immigrants appear to be unqualified people who are willing to do unskilled work for peanuts (hence the reason why big business owners would like us to remain in the EU!).

If my assertion proves to be true, you can see where things are going. :(

As it was, following research on the internet before I applied I realised that the checking service is a (sort of) optional extra. I told the PO chappie that I just wanted it sending "as is" to the passport office, No whistles n bells. Was sent "Signed for" as others have said.
Got my passport lads, Arrived the other day by courier. Jist hope Spain is worth the bloody hassle. ;) ;)

One big tip?

Remember to take the passport when you go on your holls?

have a great time!

ken

my passport was also dropped through the letter box. My wife was told she had to sign for hers or I could sign so long as she wrote a letter giving her permission. When it finally arrived, the courier said 'there you go mate'. No signatures no proof, nothing.

Sponsored Links
Back