Cannot get good countersink with a Pillar drill!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to countersink 10mm holes i've drilled into sapele hard wood and I have tried numerous countersink bits.

Every one suddenly 'chutters' and ruins the the hole totally. The pillar drill is a cheap Clarke one from screwfix. It seems quite accurate for general hole drilling. I have tried changing the belt to different speeds to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Its doing my head in!

Sponsored Links
have you tried doing the countersink with a 10mm drill bit with a depth stop

assuming you are using a mutiflute cutter because you have so many cutter faces they will be gripping at different rates as they are quite coarse and throwing sideways compared to a drill bit which will cut rather than wear away like a countersink bit

Its just to 'tidy the edge of the 10mm hole. Only by a small angled amount. I have tried it with a slightly larger drill bit but it still 'chutters' violently and rips it up unevenly. Oddly its not so bad with smaller holes. Only larger ones.

This may sound a bit corny, but is it possible to form the countersink first, and then drill your hole through its centre?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunaley not John.

I have just researched about a bit and apparently the best type of countersink is a 'Snail' de-burrer bit. These don't 'chutter' apparently. I will try one of those I guess.

Certainly you wont find anything better.....I've only used them on metals though, mainly due to price!
Presumably you don't have any better luck with a battery drill and an HSS countersink?
John :)

Rather than a conventional wood type countersink you could use a cross-hole countersink as used in metalwork. These look just like a tapered plug with a single cross drilled hole. They never chatter. See the first photo here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersink

If you want a countersink to suit a specific screw size/shape you could make your own like is shown in this youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JRkfzIv8q0

Thanks guys. I will get one of these hole through/snail bits.

Result :D

I'm not sure if it'll work with wood but back in a previous life when I was a toolmaker to get a good finish on a countersunk hole in metal we would put a piece of emery cloth between the job and the drill. It stopped the 'chattering' and gave a lovely smooth countersink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back