Renault Scenic Tailgate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, I just got a tailgate from a breaker for my Scenic, (Mk1 facelift) to replace my dented one and fitted it yesterday. Now, I've had this car for a few years, but until yesterday I didn't realise that the tailgate window opens independently of the tailgate! Needless to say, the one I've fitted has a fixed window. :(

Anyway, a couple of issues. The wiper motor on the new one is permanently on with the ignition. Why might this be, could it be a relay mod? Or do I need to shift some cables within the loom block, which is the same on each one, but the non opening one has fewer wires. I'm guessing this because the window release button on the tailgate is a powered button. I expect I'm going to have to get in there with a meter and a helper to ascertain which cable goes where.

Also, would it be possible to swap the fixed window for the opening one and how difficult might this be? The opening is the same size, and all the holes are the same. The wiper motors are different, and also the panelling slightly different but there are factory drillings to enable the fitting of both. I'm guessing the opening window was an optional extra, but any tailgate can accommodate either motor and associated panels.

It'd be great if I could swap them round, I quite like the opener now I've actually discovered it and if I swap the tailgate wiring loom it will save me faffing around with the wiper wiring. Any thoughts welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Don't know anything about the Scenic as such, but if the motor is running all the time with the ignition, it sounds as if it's picking up the permanently live feed for the self parking mechanism as the feed to the motor. Either that or the self parking switch is faulty and is staying "on".

Thanks Dave, that was quick, yeah I was thinking along those lines. Where would the parking switch normally be found, in the motor assembly itself? I'm guessing so, and it's usually switched manually by wiper arm position?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the motors are only compatible with their respective opening/non opening windows. The fixing points are in different places, and the electrical plugs are also different - not even the same number of cables. That's why I'd ideally like to swap the whole thing. The opening window has a metal frame sitting in to the recess on the gate where the non opening window glass would normally be directly sitting. It really looks as if it would go into the replacement door. I suspect the metal frame is held in with adhesive, whereas the fixed glass is held with beading.

Ok, today I took the opening glass out of the old gate, and took the wiper motor out. The motors are actually the same, but the wiring has been adapted to point the female electric plug on the motor in a different direction. The 3 pin plugs are the same, the wiring colours are the same, and the faults are the same! When wiper switch is off, the motor operates continuously. When it's on it operates through 10 cycles, and then goes off for about 4 seconds, and then on for 10 cycles, off for 4 secs etc, etc....

Chatting to a mechanic mate earlier, he thought he vaguely remembered something about rain sensors and the odd way they were wired, and maybe the newer gate didn't have that system but the other one did. However, although the rear wiper does come on automatically when reverse is selected I'm convinced it only does that if the front wipers are on. Of course, I can't confirm that at the moment without swapping the lids again, but I think he must be thinking of a newer model.

As regards my preference of swapping the opening window frame, any one know if the same rubber adhesive is used on the metal frames as is used on the glass bonding? I suspect it is, and if so I should be able to cut it out quite easily and rebond it to the other one? Or could it be backed up with some rivets or spot welds? I appreciate this is an unusual job which would ordinarily never be necessary, but it would be cool if it's possible!

Perhaps I'll get a few photos up tomorrow..... :D

Back