PIR night lights hard-wired or 5 amp round pin plug in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of any PIR activated night lights that don't require a 13 amp socket?

I have been asked to fit night lights at the bottom and top of a staircase.

Now PIR night lights are available to fit standard 13 amp sockets.

However, at this particular job it would easier to run feeds off the lighting circuit.

I was hoping such a night light exists that fits onto a regular single recessed back box.

The nearest products I can find all look rather Chinese...

I don't fancy fitting 13 amp sockets off the lighting cirrcuits. Although I could perhaps label them up as 'lighting only' it really doesn't seem satisfactory, and I know they will be used to plug other things into.

Fitting 2 or 5 amp sockets would be good, but I don't think they do a night light to fit these sockets.

I don't think you can get an adapter that is a 5 amp plug with a 13 amp socket. Think you could years ago, but probably considered very wrong nowadays.

I'm wondering now about getting a night light with a 2 pin European plug on it, and fitting a 2 pin European socket on the lighting circuit.

Not too familar with the European stuff, anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Another school of thought - an MK bedroom shaver socket.

The arrangement of the holes looks like it accepts both European 2 pin plugs and standard UK shaver plugs.

The holes in the socket look elongated to accept both of these types (and also those 'flat' 2 pin plugs...

Sponsored Links
I've been looking for pretty much the exact same thing for a while.

The only real difference being I already have a couple of 25mm backboxes fed from the lighting circuit to utilise.

For the time being I've just put an FCU and 13A socket on there, with a standard plug in nightlight.

If you can put the PIR in the ceiling/somewhere else. A few companies do make standard wall lights that fit to a standard (Albeit) deep back box

Hi, I have installed 13a plugin pir night lights as you describe on a staircase. I used an un-switched 13a socket fed from the lighting circuit and to save any hassle I super glued it into the socket. The units I bought did not cover the socket fixing screws, so easy to remove if required.

Regards,

DS

Or he could wear one of these and get his wife to top him up in the night.

funnelhood1.jpg

Well, I checked today that a euro plug would fit a bedroom shaver socket, so a European night light may be the answer.

Trouble is, those plugs never seem to stay in the socket very securely, so I'm a bit reluctant to use them, as they are to be permanently plugged in.

I had considered the superglue idea myself, but I don't think I've got the nerve to do that!! :D

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install 13 amp sockets from the socket circuit...

And a few spare stickers from a way label kit that says 'lighting'

I personally like the little hager pictures, you can fit them in the middle of the 3 pins, and then it's not gonna get worn away, and when someone removes the nightlight they see it.

I know it's not permanent, but it's trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I'm amazed nobody makes these things to hardwire. 2nd post in 2 weeks....

Let's get designing!

I'm amazed nobody makes these things to hardwire. 2nd post in 2 weeks.... Let's get designing!
Do I take it that 'bulkhead PIR lights' are not aesthetically acceptable and/or too large - some aren't totally ugly ...
429007_R_Z001

As for "Let's get designing", conceptually speaking all you really need to do is 'saw off' the 'plug pins' from a plug-in one and attach it to a blank plate. No point in re-designing the whole of the rest of it!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back