Fluorescent fixing with 4th loop terminal (UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for help in trying to figure out how to wire a fluorescent light fixture to where a ceiling rose was in the garage. I have looked at diagrams and it seems the rose was wired with 2 cables (2 core and earth) as the last loop. But the ceiling rose is the only fitting in the garage and runs off its own fuse box. The plug sockets also run off the same fuse box and when turned off, all power shuts off to the garage so why is the ceiling rose fitted like the last loop of a household and not a junction box?

There is one red and one black from the light switch and one red and one black from the mains, both have earths.

The junction inside the batten has a 4th terminal which says that it is "for the termination of the loop if necessary". Everyhwere i read people say that fluorescent fixtures donlt have a loop terminal so i'm a little confused as to what i should do.
I managed to wire the correct L and N to go with the blue and brown of the batten. I connected the 2 earths in the middle and two red loop cables from each of the switch and mains into the 4th loop terminal.

After studying the batten manual again and again to make sure i had it right, or at least hoped i had it right, i returned the power back to the garage and turn the light on but nothing was happening.

Can anyone tell me if the wiring connections i did were correct please and whether i should replace the bulb and/or starter so i know which one is wrong and which is fine. Or should i remove everything and install a junction box and feed down a single cable for the batten? I found it strange that the junction inside the batten had a 4th loop terminal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as i have been getting a little frustrated with not knowing what could be wrong or right.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Some fleurescent/fittings DO have a 4th terminal, it is empty and has no outgoing wires.

This is as you say used for the Loop wires or can be simply left unused

It sounds like you may have wired it right.

You want the two reds in the loop, the black from the switch in the live terminal and the black from the feed in the neutral terminal.

If this is what you have and it doesn't work, try connecting the feed cable to live and neutral (ignoring the switch entirely) and see if it works

If not you may have something faulty

Hi, you would use the 'loop' terminal to connect the red from the mains (L) and the red to the switch together.

The Black from the switch should be sleeved red or brown and is the Switched Live and connects to L on the fitting. The black from the mains connects to N.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Thank you i feel a lot better knowing i did it correct. That is a very good idea linking the batten up to just the mains ignoring the switch altogether, i never thought of that. That will indeed tell me if something has a fault.

Your help is very much appreciated everyone. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back