Air bricks new build home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hopefully somebody can help me I have a few questions regarding the position of the air bricks on my home.

I have uncovered 2 air bricks underneath the patio that was laid when the house was built six months ago

I have been in contact with the site manager and they have a solution of making a boarder to fit round the air bricks I've attached a photo from the one they have done so far which is underneath the kitchen window.

I really want to clear up whether it is okay to do what they have done as if I'm honest it doesn't exactly look great and when they do similar around the patio slabs I have a feeling it's going to look a whole lot worse

Sponsored Links
The only reason I can see is so that it is level with the rear door and possibly because of the drain cover that sits in the middle of the patio

OMG, is that really a new house? The wall is a bloody mess.

They may have also messed up with the paving level, which means you have that stupidity around the air bricks,

But more possible, if they knew the paving was to be at that level, then the air bricks should have been put in higher and ducted down to the underfloor void.

I would not accept their poxy solution, and insist that the air bricks are raised and telescopic liners put into the cavity. This will be a big job for them, but that is what needs to be done.

Just make sure they don't get the same crap brickies back

Edit: BTW, there should be more airbricks along that elevation if its ventilating under the floor - one every metre and the same on the opposite side of the house

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody and if I said it's a persimmon home you would probably not be suprised by the brickwork or at least judging by the standard of the rest of the homes on this site.

I'm not sure where I stand with getting them to put this right though as the aftersales and even the site manager seem to avoid everything they possibly can!

Although it looks awful is it acceptable for them to do it like this in terms of building regs that sort of thing?

Thanks again for responding

No - totally unacceptable and storing up problems for the future.

Either drop the ground level or raise the vents

NHBC Standards require the air bricks to be unobstructed. It is implied that the air bricks are located in such a position that they don't become obstructed - a dip in the ground does not satisfy this and in such a position they are prone to blockage and water ingress. So no, it's not acceptable.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/TechnicalExtra/filedownload,44936,en.pdf - bottom of page 13 under "Guidance"

Brilliant I'm glad I asked now as this gives me something to go off as I'm sure persimmon will try to avoid rectifying it!

Do you suggest if I have no joy with persimmon that I contact the NHBC? If not what's the best route to go down?

It sounds like it going to be a pain getting it sorted but we do plan on staying here at least a few years so definitely want it sorted properly

I had heard that they have been on watchdog and it would seem not for the first time.

They seem to be very good at diverting blame onto anyone but themselves can honestly say it's been a nightmare from the start but hay ho nothing I can do now

I will be calling them first thing tomorrow though about the air bricks see what they have to say and will keep you updated

So I have been in contact with persimmon today the manager of customer care has said he will leave it in the hands of the site manager and if he decides that the ground should be lowered as I have asked then he will arrange for that to be done.

The groundworkers had come today to put the surround in around the patio slabs like the one in the picture in my original post which I declined for now.

They did tell me though that as woody mentioned the telescopic vents are In fact what are already in place which if I'm right would mean the only option is to lower the ground

Keeping my fingers crossed that I will know what they plan on doing by tomorrow when I get my meeting with the site manager

As you guys have been very helpful do you have any suggestion to put forward to the site manager when we meet tomorrow?

Thanks again

the telescopic vents are In fact what are already in place which if I'm right would mean the only option is to lower the ground

They can fit longer ones - they are telescopic!.
IIRC, they will extend three course below DPC and two above - or can be adapted for more.

As the bottom half is already in, then it would be a simple job to open the wall and fit a top half extension and airbrick higher up.

The groundworkers are either clueless about brickwork or looking for excuses. Or both.

So it's either that or lower the paving. But then they have to deal with the raised paving at the door threshold, and you end up with a ramp

This definitely contravenes NHBC standards, and not only that, the NHBC issued what they call an 'Extra' on it a year or two ago. An extra means the NHBC have had problems with vents being in the wrong place so they issue extra instructions to make sure contractors do it properly. From memory it concerned exactly what you have there. Because they have to have a level threshold at the door it was easier for contractors to just continue the same level along the adjoining paving. The drawback is the vents get covered. They were instructed that this is poor practice and not acceptable - to NHBC. I'm sure if you ask NHBC they will let you have a copy of the extra.

I spoke to a NHBC technical advisor on the phone today and he did confirm that what they have done isn't up to standard he did say though that they don't have a specific level up from the ground but they must be above ground level which isn't exactly what that guideline that woody posted states

since then the site manager has been in today to take pictures and now will hand it over to the construction manager

he did say though that lowering the ground isn't an option because of the level threshold at the door but that they would have to bring the air bricks up if his manager agrees it

Should know by tomorrow if this is going to happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back