Sikkens query again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I recently queried sikkens primer plus primer/uc about it being used over existing coatings and dcdec kindly replied I all also emailed sikkens and they said it should only be used over bare wood I'm a bit concerned now as I have done a few jobs and used it over existing coatings,I always thought this was right as is states it's an undercoat has anyone else done this or have I messed up,many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not a problem and will do a fine job - it's just extra work that you don't need to do.

Thanks but how would you use the product just prime bare bits then give it two coats of Xd gloss,I have spoken to sikkens in the past and they said using the primer plus over existing coatings was fine but now they say not to,confused

Yes. If you've gone though the top coat when sanding, then prime, undercoat as necessary and topcoat. Sanded back paint that's been there a while makes a good surface to repaint. Don't look for extra work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again,but you see Any problems with the previous jobs I've done where I've used the primer over already painted surfaces

No of course not. Most people do it that way but the quicker you are and the less paint you use the more you earn.

Around 5-6 years ago i used it with XD on a big exterior job, 60 plus windows. Looked good and lasted well, you're doing nothing wrong.
Personally i would never just gloss on gloss especially an exterior, far more likely to flake.
You've done nothing wrong and sikkens need to be a bit more consistent with their advice.

Hi,just a quick update on sikkens primer plus,sikkens emailed me again to say its ok to use over existing coatings it's just that it is not entirely necessary ,still a little bit confusing might give up using it in the future and use something else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back