Re-lay Paving slabs, heavy 3ft x 2ft x 2inch. 80 of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a patio just outside my back door that consists of 80
3ft x 2ft x 2inch grey paving slabs.

These old 3ft x 2ft x 2inch grey paving slabs are no longer available.
A number were cracked and have been lifted and replaced with the modern version which is a 900mm x 600mm grey paving slab.
Almost the same size though slightly smaller.

The patio goes up and down and all over the place.
When these were laid in 1972 little attention was paid to whether the patio was flat.
It is not, and I'm about to begin the hefty job of re-laying it / flattening it out.

Questions :

1. These paving slabs are REALLY heavy. What's the best method for handling them.

2. What's the best way to get a large area really flat. I've been using a long wood 'spreading' batten with a straight edge and builders sand. Ideas ?

3. What is the best material to put between the gaps to stop weeds growing up and through.

All tips and ideas greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Paving expert is the best resource for all this kind of stuff, including stuff on lifting:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

On a personal note, I shifted about 10 of these slabs about 30 meters recently in preparation for some building work. I'm in pretty good shape I suppose and I couldn't believe how hard it was. I wouldn't dream of laying them on my own. One of the builders who came to do the work also struggled with one. (Though to be fair, his rather younger labourer did manage a bit better.) I would definitely look at getting hold of one of the lifting aids mentioned on the PE site if I was you.

laying them on building sand is wrong. If you dont want to lay them on a mortar bed then you need to use a very course grit sand.

They are brutal to work with. reclaimation places will keep them if you want to try and get matching ones.

A probst slab lifter makes it much safer and more manageble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back