oak worktop problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi all,
Have an oak worktop about a year old. I think I may have left a pool of water behind the sink (as you do) and today I noticed the joint has raised very slightly as if water has got in. Not sure if you can even see in the photo.

I'm not someone who is concerned about the odd blemish, but is this going to become a problem other than aesthetically? and is there anything I should do now to prevent it getting worse? i.e sand and re-oil?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can't really see in the pic but if there is a chance for water to get into the crack then you'll want to seal it asap. I'd sand it then brush the sawdust into any gap and then oil it. Should hopefully make an oil and sawdust mix that will act as filler. Then repeat

no you can't really see anything other than the dark line. But when I run my finger over it you can tell it has risen slightly.

I think I'll sand it and re-oil a few times and hope for the best

Thanks!

Oil finishes are fairly moisture permeable, so this will happen in an area that receives regular wetting.

Sponsored Links
The trick with oil finish is to keep applying the coats,the first few coats still leave the wood and the finish quite vulnerable especially round the sink,about 6 thin coats will start to you somewhere, snot off with wire wool between coats.
Cheers Ian

It's true though. Solid worktops are nothing but trouble. Dump it.

In your opinion. Plenty of others say they will last forever with a bit of maintenance.

I'm still undecided, but either way I'm not going to rip out a year-old worktop because of one slight blemish am I?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back