Window size regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning an extesnion off the kitchen to create a garden room.

I see loads of ideas etc on the net and TV - use of large glass windows and doors etc. Thats exacttly the way I want to go.

BUT my BCO has just informed me that the window cant be bigger than 25% of the new floor area. This area is 12.75 sq m. This gives me a poxy 3.125 sqm of glass!

How do all these trendy extensions get away with such big areas of glass. There must be another way?

Any help?

Cheers

Crakkers

Sponsored Links
You compensate with additional energy saving measures elsewhere in the house and then have a SAP calculation done to prove that the heat losses through your big windows are not resulting in any more energy use than smaller windows and no energy saving measures elsewhere.

The BCO has told you half the truth. You can have the windows as big as you like but you must compensate for the additional heat loss elsewhere. The standard method is to have SAP calculation carried out which shows the proposed extension showing equal heat loss to one which has windows no greater than 25% of floor area.

Sponsored Links
To the 25% of the new floor area created, you add the areas of any windows or doors that will no longer exist, or be covered over by the new extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back