kia sedona clutch & fork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 8 months ago, I had a new clutch fitted (wifes car) . There still did not seem to be a lot of travel, but I assumed this was just because it was different to the vehicle I normally drive.

A few weeks ago it was difficult to engage gear, but it was possible too engage with engine off. It the rights itself with driving and a little pumping off the pedal. The independant who changed the clutch says it is the master cylinder. I have since been told by 2 other mechanics (& KIA parts) that it is normal practice to change the fork while doing the clutch. The clutch changer says they checked the fork while doing the clutch and it was okay.

Took it to the second subsequent garage (the first was a mech. working from a home workshop, was concerned about getting in the mile of a row and anyway was not equipped to do clutch work). The manager/owner tells me the clutch is slipping slightly, could be the fork or the slave cylinder (which was changed with the clutch).

I am in a quandry as the fork will cost hundreds to change, as will the slave or master cylinder.

Is it fair to say the original firm, physically quite a large gargage with several mechanics, should have changed the fork?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Also apologies if any of the parties read this and recognise themselves.

Sponsored Links
There seems to be two issues here......the clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging fully (hence the need to pump the pedal) and yet even as the clutch is new, it's slipping?
Personally I'd be thoroughly bleeding the clutch system to expel any air and see if you get a better pedal.
It's not usually necessary to change a clutch fork, unless it has become bent or shows signs of fatigue.
John :)

Thanks for reply.

When I took it back and left it with them, they bled the clutch,but the next day the problem was back. It is difficult in the morning but gets better.
It has been okay for a couple of days, so when I took it to another garage today they probably could not feel the problem to the same extent - but they said it was slipping slightly.

Never change the clutch fork unless damaged as above.
Keep the foot completely off the pedal unless you are going to apply the clutch fully, no half way.
If anyone drives with their foot resting on the pedal for any reason, the clutch will wear prematurely, likewise if the pedal is depressed a little just for fun.

Sponsored Links
Never change the clutch fork unless damaged as above.
Keep the foot completely off the pedal unless you are going to apply the clutch fully, no half way.
If anyone drives with their foot resting on the pedal for any reason, the clutch will wear prematurely, likewise if the pedal is depressed a little just for fun.

Why do you say never? I know nothing about cars, but it seems sensible to change a relatively cheap part wi0th a history of failure when you have spent (and charged) all day removing and replacing the gearbox.

Sorry, it was a general statement, that we just don't change the clutch fork. Can never remember changing one, but if they are giving trouble, definitely change it.
Sometimes when you ask a person what caused that problem, they blame the very item they know you haven't changed, even though they are shooting in the dark, especially true in parts departments.

Clutch forks can bend and give difficult disengagement but I have not seen it often. If it does happen its often difficult to diagnose because the fork looks OK, hence possibly the suggestion to change it if that vehicle is prone to fork trouble.

Peter

Kia recommend replacing the fork with the clutch.Costs about £20, so why not just do it?

Sponsored Links
Back