Oil based paint and water based paint

Sponsored Links
Before going ahead and buying I just wanted to check that I'm choosing the right kind of paint. I'm doing the whole house (i.e. inside and it's all white).

For skirting boards and doors etc I was going to use satin emulsion.

Nearly all the ceilings are artexed and to me it just looks like they've been painted with a matt emulsion so that's what I was going to use, although I've read that in a bathroom or kitchen you should use silk because of condensation.

Nearly all the walls are papered with woodchip paper, which looks to me as though it's just been painted with a matt emulsion so again that's what I was going to use.

Does all this sound ok? Thanks.

For the woodwork (skirtingboards and doors etc): satin emulsion.

Sponsored Links
I've just been looking online at various matt emulsions. I hadn't realized that there's matt emulsion and also vinyl matt emulsion. Looking at my walls I couldn't say for certain whether it's matt or vinyl matt and I've read that if you paint matt over vinyl matt without undercoating first (which I don't want to do) you end up with areas of very fine cracks.

The finish on my walls looks to me like a dull finish so I assumed it was matt but I'm now wondering if it might be vinyl matt. Is there any way of knowing for sure?

Lead paint was used in the 70's by some old school decs ( like my late Dad) and then on outsides only . Bloody hard going it was too :LOL: . Matt emulsion or trade emulsion as it's known is for mist coating on new plaster and can be used on ceilings . Vinyl Matt is for walls and ceilings and is more wear resistant. Crown is a good one ;) Buy paint from a trade outlet it's better than from the sheds. Going over Vinyl Silk can cause the cracking. It's Satan's paint.

Lead paint was used in the 70's by some old school decs ( like my late Dad) and then on outsides only . Bloody hard going it was too :LOL: . Matt emulsion or trade emulsion as it's known is for mist coating on new plaster and can be used on ceilings . Vinyl Matt is for walls and ceilings and is more wear resistant. Crown is a good one ;) Buy paint from a trade outlet it's better than from the sheds. Going over Vinyl Silk can cause the cracking. It's Satan's paint.

Thanks for that info.

Nige, you say that paint from a trade outlet is better than from B&Q, Wickes etc but if you got, say, Dulux Trade Emulsion then surely that would be the same quality from both outlets(?)

Ignore the word 'trade' these days - it's just a marketing term.

Seriously, has Joe-90's account been hacked ? You're making some really daft comments at the moment.

There are generally retail paints and trade paints. A 2.5 litre can of retail dulux off the shelf at homebase is not of the same quality as a 2.5 litre can from a trade outlet with trade written on the can. This goes for all paints that offer trade versions. Trade paints are generally thicker to allow thinning to choice and they also have a higher pigment content as well as better coverage. Its not a marketing tool. Having used both in the real world, retail comes second to trade every time, often thin, extremely fast drying and difficult to cover with, retail is designed to come straight out the can onto the wall to provide the diyer and less discerning eye with instant results. Extra coats (so more expense) are often needed. Own brand store paints are even worse, they are made by one of the big paint companies at a price point. If you think homebase paint is cheap, try and imagine how much Crown are getting per litre? They cannot make a decent paint for the money whereas their own professional trade paint is quite good stuff. Some trade paints are cheap because colours like white and magnolia are made in great bulk and is reflected in the price.

Contract paints and trade paint are not the same thing. Whilst made by professional paint companies often for professional use they are a cheap alternative commonly used in new build, mist coatings, rentals and areas of low wear. A contract magnolia in an average family home will become scruffy and tired looking very quickly. It is completely unwipeable, marks extremely easily and can be washed off. The general reason is they have little to no vinyl content.

Trade vinyl paints are more expensive because they are a better paint. Diamond and washable matts are more expensive because they are easily maintained which extends maintenance cycles. I can't tell you much about the chemistry but i can tell you in years of painting for a living that cheap paint = rubbish and a false economy, retail paints are a poor substitute for trade and trade will beat like for like retail every time.

If retail paint was as good as trade why aren't the diy stores full of people like me buying them? Firms like Brewers would not need to exist.

Thanks dcdec for that info.

So am I right in thinking that if I buy paint with "Trade" on the tin from B&Q or Wickes etc then I'm getting the good stuff? Or do you have to buy it from a trade outlet to get the proper trade stuff, and if so do you have to be in the trade to buy from there?

You cannot put different paint in the same tin and label it as something it isn't. It's against the law.

That would be like putting a badge on Skoda and calling it a Volkswagen.

You cannot put different paint in the same tin and label it as something it isn't. It's against the law.

That would be like putting a badge on Skoda and calling it a Volkswagen.

Fair enough joe but that doesn't answer my questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back