New Mira Shower and MK Sentry Shower Kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace our old and knackered Mira Sport Shower with the new version 'Mira Sport max 10.8kW'. This bit should be straightforward enough.

Currently though, the shower is wired from an 'old' 70's style CU, through a ceiling switch. I would like to see a bit better protection and I have noticed a MK Sentry 2 Way Shower Kit (supplied with RCD 63A 30mA and MCB 50A) in our local B&Q Warehouse.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these 'shower kits'? I would mind having a go at doing this myself if it seemed straighforward enough... shock horror I hear some of you cry :eek: . OK I'm not a qualified sparky but I am not an idiot, I also know when something is too much for me and have to call in the pro's.

Any tips gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
the shower pull switch and the mcb/rcd are not interchangable. The MCB/RCD unit would be fitted near the fusebox in the absence of any other RCD protection. The shower switch would need upgrading to a 50A model.

For your information, the shower you have just purchased is the highest rated unit money can buy, and therefore the entire circuit will need replacing (i'm guessing the old one runs on a 30A fuse and 6mm² cable? you need 50A and 10mm²).

This is not something to be taken lightly by a DIYer. An electrician could do it in about a day, depending on access, and you wouldn't have to worry about telling your council about it then. And the old fusebox will probably not be able to handle this load. You cannot buy 50A fuses or trips for those old fuseboxes. The electrician would probably have to henley in that new MCB/RCD you mentioned connected to the meter tails.

Thanks crafty, I had a better look at this last night and while the replacement of the circuit is straightforward enough, I think connecting the MCB/RCD into the meter tails is one step too far for me....off to look at the Yellow Pages..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back