Replace joist hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time to the board. Did not know to post this here or in DIY disasters.
I want to know how easy it would be to replace joist hangers.
Heres what happened I needed to cut up the floorboard upstairs to get ceiling access for spot lights. Went too deep and ended up cutting right through the top of a couple of joist hangers. The hangers are still in place with the nails that were already in the joists, I did this some months ago, nothing seems to have moved but I can not stop thinking about it.
My house is only 8 years old.
I know this was stupid, but how can I replace the hangers?
Is there an easy way or have I a major problem, or do you think I'm over worrying? We are hoping to sell the house next year and I would hate to sell it to someone knowing what I have done incase they have problems later.
Any advice would be very gratefully received, if you need more information please let me know.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i cant see how you would have done any damage to a joist hanger by cutting from above.
the "meat" in any joist hanger that i've seen is in the bottom or underside of the joist.
are you sure it wasn't a plastic shrinkage sleeve?

Hi,
If I'm calling it the right thing in joist hanger. It lays over the top of another joist then the another joist lays in the hanger at 90 degrees to the main joist. When I cut through the floor I managed to cut right through the metal strap part that wraps over the main joist if Im explaining it right. So although the hanger is still nailed to the joist I have cut away the strap that would stop it falling if it was not nailed.

kev999 said:
Hi,
If I'm calling it the right thing in joist hanger. It lays over the top of another joist then the another joist lays in the hanger at 90 degrees to the main joist. When I cut through the floor I managed to cut right through the metal strap part that wraps over the main joist if Im explaining it right. So although the hanger is still nailed to the joist I have cut away the strap that would stop it falling if it was not nailed.

:) A wind up surely?

OK, I will bite - how did you cut through galvanised steel joist hangers :?:

Sponsored Links
I wish it was a windup, cut through them with a powerfull skill saw. I know it was stupid. What now?

Hi,
I have all the floor and carpet back down at the moment, I will try to draw a skecth tonight if I can work out how to post it.
My thoughts was maybe if I drill a hole through each side of the hangers, and through the joists and put maybe a 10mm nut and bolt to secure the hangers in place.
I know it was stupid, but the galvinised steel was only about 2mm thick and the skill saw had one of those muti cutting blades that will go through anything.

Don't panic, everything is possible :!:

It just knowing how to do it. :D

Hi,
Yes similar to the photo you have posted, but one strap in the middle of the hanger on top instead of two, not sure whether it is a double hanger with another joist on the other side, never had that part of the floor up to check.
Look, I go on holiday for a week tomorrow, when I get back I will have the floor up again and take a photo, what you will see is I have cut through the strap part but it is still held in by nails.
Any ideas for me to think about over the next week would be appreciated. As I said I auctually done this a good few months ago, at first I thought it was not a concern but it has played on my mind so much that I really think I need advice on how to either replace or repair, I'm really quite worried about it.
Thanks for your time everyone, I will repost once I have the floor back up in a weeks time.
What about the nut and bolt idea, is that any good?

Hi,
Your solution seems along the right tracks, thanks, maybe if I have room I could drill holes in the top of the hanger and screw a plate down over the top of it, as well as put bolts through the sides of the hanger.
I promise to post photo in a week and restart post again.
I don't think the hangers are going anywhere but I just want to make it 100% solid to put my mind at rest, some kind of repair would be much better then having to replace them as that seems a major job.

I'm glad I joined this forum, I have already started to feel that a solution can be found from this nightmare from people with more knowlege then myself.

you could always skew nail the joist into the bearer with some galvanized 4" nails.
i know the screw and stainless steel police will frown...............stuff em.
believe me, a couple of nails skewed into each side of the joist would hold up tons........for years.

Thanks for the nail tip noseall, I will have a look at that one when I take the floor up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back