Applying silicone sealant / mastic advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a messy job.

Is there any tools or advice for applying this stuff and getting a perfect finish.

I have tried plastic gloves, spitting on it to smooth out (not nice when you eat a load) lol

Anyway there has gotta be a better way, whats your secrets to that perfect sealant (straight lines and smooth)

:p

Sponsored Links
Masking tape on either side of the bead a distance appropriate to bead size.

Apply a slight access and smooth off with a wetted rounded implement of suitable radius. Clean off tool requently.

Remove tape as soon as bead is smoothed off.

no, no ,no

apply ur silicone, one length at a time ie one side of the bath.

in a mug put a finger of water and a good squirt of washing up liquid.

put ur finger in it, start from one edge and start by just applying enough pressure to wet the silicone...do the full length....just wetting it really.

keep wetting ur finger and cleaning any silicone that sticks to ur finger.

now go back to the start and same again but this time ur shaping it, taking off any excess. keep the finger clean (with a tissue)...note the silicone does not stick to ur finger....

if u need more depth just apply it and redo the above...

job done....do a few baths and u'll get the hang of it !!

JPC........no no :?: :LOL: you`ve admitted youre a new-ish plumber, now listen to 30 years experience :LOL: Masking Tape+ spit :eek: yesx3........been ,done, T shirt

Sponsored Links
Hi all I have found a product called "Fugi" does the job absolutley smack on!! Got loads of different edges to different sized beads etc..

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0-13240 Great tool, less sticky mess too!! Have a looksy! It really is a must for a perfect job every time!

I have one, and must admit, it does finish the job off really well!

Go with washing up liquid + finger mate!

Make sure and fill the bath first though so that when they fill it it doesn't break the seal.

Do one side at a time, put loads of washing up liquid in a bowl, put the silicone on, liquid on fingers then push the silicone in lightly into the joint, then more liquid on finger and run it along to smooth it over. Any silicone that falls off, remove it with your washing liquid covered finger ASAP.

Thanks all... Have a lot of good advice here, i will be trying it all out when i do my shower and bath.
I really like the idea of the fugi tools, if all gets a bit messy i may have to try that..

Thanks again its been great help.:cool:

DannyFlash said:
Hi all I have found a product called "Fugi" does the job absolutley smack on!! Got loads of different edges to different sized beads etc..

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0-13240 Great tool, less sticky mess too!! Have a looksy! It really is a must for a perfect job every time!

I have one, and must admit, it does finish the job off really well!

Watched the video and was well impressed and for the cost i ordered one to give it a try..

The vid was what swung it for me, and it really is that simple to use!

The trick to get a great finish, is to do short sections like 24ins or so, that way there is less chance of a "skin" forming on the silicone, chaulk or whatever your using.

Have fun with your fugi!

nige....yes yes yes...

tried the masking tape and did not get on.

my method works very well for me....

That Fugi looks a brilliant tool BUT if you look at it closely, you can see it is just a thin piece of shaped plastic that I think anyone can make by cutting at an angle.

Don't think I will be paying out £12 :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back