Brown Rust sports on my cutlery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a technika dishwasher, which is only one year old. I have noticed however that whenever I place metal cutlery of any kind in my washer, brown rust type spots end up on them.
Am I using a wrong setting or wrong type of soap/ rinse aid?
Or perhaps a sign of something else going wrong.

Sponsored Links
Water hardness in Australia is (I'm told) different to that in RoW. Do you get white limescale in the kettle?

Do you put salt in it for a water softener, and is your water town supply or own tank?

Do you put the stuff in and wash it at once, then take out as soon as finished, or do you leave it sitting about?

Do you give it a rinse-and-hold if not washing at once?

I assume you have stainless steel cutlery? Some sharp chefs knives are carbon steel and will rust.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

Going through the items.

The cutlery is stainless steel. Not the cheap supermarket variety.

I'm located in Melbourne VIC, connected to town water. I'm told Melbourne has soft water. I've never noticed white limescale in my kettle.

The pipes are new however. Perhaps related?

I contacted the manufacturer and as it turned out I had the machine set for hard water. Seems to fixed it but smaller dots still appear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back