New bath..new leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just installed a new cheapy bath (from B&Q). It's a very tight fit and i\\\'ve screwed the feet in. However, lookin back perhaps i should have done that after connecting the pipework. I've connected the cold tap to the cold supply but i had to force the old copper pipe to the new tap. There is a leak just on the not. It\\\'s more of a weeping leaking than a full blown leak. Also, the strangest leak it the one on the drainage pipe on the elbow joint from the trap.
Would be grateful if anyone could get me out of this mess.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your tap is not lining up with the pipework, easiest fix is to fit a flexi hose to it.

As for your waste, check alignment and change elbows , waste if you need to. :D

Zed786 said:
Hi,
Just installed a new cheapy bath (from B&Q). It's a very tight fit and i\\\'ve screwed the feet in. However, lookin back perhaps i should have done that after connecting the pipework. I've connected the cold tap to the cold supply but i had to force the old copper pipe to the new tap. There is a leak just on the not. It\\\'s more of a weeping leaking than a full blown leak. Also, the strangest leak it the one on the drainage pipe on the elbow joint from the trap.
Would be grateful if anyone could get me out of this mess.
Thanks

I always get the appliance in place and then pipe up to it. As suggested get yourself a flexihose for the copper pipe, and check that the rubber seals are in place properly on the plastic waste connections, sometimes sliding the nut onto the pipe followed by the rubber washer and the screwing it together helps.

Thanks for your advice lads.

I've managed to sort the taps out. I used speedfit connections for the cold water supply. Managed to get it working after a bit of a struggle. The place i bought the conenctions from said that speedfit straight couples are made so that copper pipes simply insert into them without an olive or anything!! BUT he didn't say you've got push them right in. For the hot water supply i used the exisiting copper pipe/nut and used plenty of PFTE tape.

HOWEVER, THE DRAIN FROM THE TRAP IS STILL LEAKING. It is NOT the waste from the bath. It is the grey elbow from the grey pipe i.e the piping that takes the water to outside. Tried getting a elbow but the guy didn't have any 2inch in stock but i am really worried about this last piece. I tried PTFE tape and silicon but no joy.
No water.....2 days and counting

Thanks for any comments/advice

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's 2"? They're normally 1½"
There are compression, pushfit and solvent weld(glue) types. Suggest you try a compression one cos it'll fit any type of (say) 1½" .
If you're new to them it's easy to assemble them wrongly though - you HAVE to put the nut, backing washer(if it has one) then the rubber washer on the pipe first, thin edge of the rubber washer towards the fitting.

Hi thanks for that Chris,

It's definitely 2inch as that is what the guy at the plumber's merchant said. Managed to get one from another supplier. Fitted it and working perfectly (thank God). I could swear that the old elbow had brand new seals but the guy at the store said to feel around the inside of the old and compare with the new one and there was definitely a difference My point being looking isn't always believing. The midas touch did it for me this time.

Once againg thanks for all your advice/suggestions lads.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
Zed
PS: Just got the toilet, basin and shower to put in now!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back