socket spanner size for bath tap monoblock

Sponsored Links
It's normal to undo the tap mechanism with an adjustable spanner rather than a socket.

That
BTP1054.jpg

isn't a monobloc.
Which nut do you mean?
IS there a chrome collar in the way or something? If so it might unscrew more easily if you've warmed it up (boiling water)

5/8" is smaller than 16mm, 11/16" is bigger than 17, so imperial wouldn't help.

Sponsored Links
Just below the tap handles sits a chrome collar. this will unscrew and lift up to reveal the body of the tap which can then be undone using a 16.5mm adjustable spanner :LOL:
lee

OK, the top handle unscrews with a long 2 inch screw.
You can then pull out what looks like a spacer 1.5”
The tap handle sits on a splinned part of the spacer and the spacer sits on a splinned bit of the valve.
You then remove the top chrome part of the tap by unscrewing the grub screw at the back. This removes about 1.5” of the chrome part.
The Valve looks like its sits in the centre part of the tap recessed by about 0.5”.
(Ie from the picture the tap looks like each side is in 3 pieces., the valve is in the middle part recessed by about 0.5”)
I have tried 17mm and 11/16” just too big
16mm and 5/8 just too small.
16.5mm sound like the right size lcgs
Any ideas

lcgs said:
...which can then be undone using a 16.5mm adjustable spanner :LOL:
lee

sorry, I've been out and measured, the nearest size I've got in an adjustable spanner is 16.772mm

You're undoing it so you need a left handed adjustable spanner...

Seriously though it sounds mad if you really need a socket.
You could try cutting up a tin can and bending a small strip with pliers, to go between the socket and the hex .

You could try a box (tubular usually Melco) spanner and squash it a bit first in a vice (or hammer!)

I have also used long-nosed pliers with mole grips across them for such things :oops:

Otherwise a 21/32nds ring spanner...

Having found the monobloc one - are you saying the marked sleeve doesn't come off???

(click it it grows)

After you've pulled off as much of the shroud as you can, if you put the knob back on the splines and turn it, will it wind the nut out enough to grab it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back