Changeing a primatic cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my hot water over the last year or 2 has taken longer to heat up and never gets to full temp unless the CH pump is working. The problem seems to be sludge or a blockage in the gravity hot water circuit. So I am going to change the cylinder to a indirect coil type and add a F+E for CH and obviously remove the blockage or offending pipes.
At the moment I have 1 hot oulet and 2 pipes returning to the boiler, one the gravity hot water and one the CH return with pump on it. The cylinder has a 2 port valve on the the top inlet.
What I need (other than a plumber :LOL: ) is a bit of advice as where to connect the F+E to this circuit and will it need any further modification ?
thanks in advance Steve

Sponsored Links
Gravity circuit shouldn't have a 2 port valve :eek:

Make and model of the boiler is :

I would go for an S or Y plan fully pumped.

If you want a drawing send an email.

Scruff, perhaps I am missing something. The man said primatic. Also says a motorised valve is fitted.

Single feed as far as I was aware, should not have clean pipe runs. And no pumps.

Water is not heating. Gravity loops are normally 28mm. Would have to be megasludge to block these pipes. If these pipes were blocked, hate to think what rest of the system will be like.

I think stevejones is misdiagnosing the problem. If present system is plumbed as he says, unless I am off my trolly, it needs to be sorted out.

Sponsored Links
I agree DP, more likely to be scale at the connections than sludge, and it does sound dodgy.

That why the questions :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, not sure what is stopping gravity working but the hotwater return pipe only gets hot with the pump working on CH, so I guessed it must be constricted in some way. The system must be at least 25 yrs old but has been updated to a "C Plan" at some stage adding stats and valve. The heating side works well so did the hot water untill recently. I removed a few radiators to decorate and the problem has got worse since then. Boiler is a museum piece Ideal Stadard floor mounted cast sort of thing.
Steve
Couldnt find a C plan diagram so any diagrams would be helpfull
Slyman_666 at hotmail.com
edit found diagram http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm
but my 2 port valve is on the flow to the cylinder and the pump is on the CH return with one hot feed for both.[/url]

Am wondering 2 things....1 is the mot. valve opening fully.2 has the primatic bubble gone :?: .......One check manual lever.....Two drain and refill slowly.....hth. ;)..............Could be airlock but how to get it shifted without destroying the one that`s supposed to be there in the "mushroom" :confused:

Dont think the bubble has gone as the hot water is nice and clean, and I have use the lever on the back of the valve to no avail. Could it be an airlock ? as it bloobs when the boiler fires up and shuts down. No air in the rads as they all are hot and just spurt water when bled
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back