Potterton Puma 100 - Pilot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In about 4 years the pilot light has gone out about 3 times, but in the last month it doesn\\\'t seem to stay on for more than about 8-10 hours at a time. We called in a Plumbing/Heating engineer who replaced the thermocouple, but that hasn\\\'t made a difference and we are still having to re-light the pilot light twice a day. Can anyone provide any other insight as to what could be causing this, before I call the engineer out again!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Common problem is overheat thermostat (inline with the thermocouple) and the pilot assembly.

The pilot flame needs to envelop the thermocouple - often the pilot assembly is corroded/worn providing a reduced flame lenght.

Gasguru - thanks for the quick response!

So if there is wear or corrosion in the pilot assembly - should that be fairly obvious when putting in a new thermocouple?

Also any thoughts on what a new Pilot assembly and/or overheat thermostat could cost?

The flame should point in three directions - often there is a reduced flame towards the thermocouple - easy to see. Overheat stat maybe £20.00, pilot assembly £25.00 (there are two types).

All corgi work as both items are within the combustion chamber.

Because of intermittent nature of fault its often worth changing all three items to prevent call backs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - at least I am armed with some knowledge when I call them back.

I see you are based in London and by your responses - take it you are a registerd engineer. Don't spose you cover the Putney area do you?

Bit far for me but try Tony (Agile) I think he covers West London

Don't spose you cover the Putney area do you?
I do.
Email in profile.
Had one which needed a new gas valve, but that could have been a one-off.

T/Lead obviously not at fault.

Shameful for an enginner to change a part when he has no idea if its failed.

Gasguru has nailed your fault as long as the boiler isnt overheating.

David

Shameful for an enginner to change a part when he has no idea if its failed.

Now why does this not surprise me ?

Gasguru has nailed your fault as long as the boiler isnt overheating.

He does know what he's talking about

Thanks to all of you for your comments - much appreciated.

One final general question - how do I get to see someone else's profile - I can only seem to get to mine (and edit it)? I wanted to keep the details for ChrisR and Tony (Agile) on hand in case I need them in the future.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back