worcester 24cdi banging/pump very hot !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Iam new to the forum and not very knowledgable about the subject (so be gentle please)
I have a Worcester 24cdi combi boiler which is 17months old. Two weeks ago it began making banging noises when the unit fired up. It automatically turned itself off and then tried several more times with the smae results. I called an engineer who said the pump was not working and replaced it. The unit has worked fine up until today , when the banging noises started again. I have taken the cover off and the pump is very hot, almost untouchable. I let it cool down and then switched on the unit again, touching the pump and listening. I dont think the pump is turning, which will mean another call to the engineer and another pump. But does anyone know what could be causing the problem so that I can discuss this with the engineer instead of him just replacing the pump again.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything you need to see if this new pump is itself turning. This is a simple job, just undo the nut on the pump if it is a Grundfos, and put a smaller screwdriver in the hole, if there is a grinding noise then it is turning. Next, turn off the power and with your smaller screwdriver, see how easily it is turning.

If he didn't vent the pump then in theory it could have burnt out but unlikely as they normally last much longer even if full of air.

Or, your system could be so full of magnetite and crap that the new pump has become blocked and the impeller cannot turn. Either way it needs investigation. Your engineer should take a water sample and see how much floating black stuff there is in the system.

As a quick check make sure that if the replacement pump has a speed selector setting it is turned up full.

Sponsored Links
Its not an ideal pump head is it? Had to put one of these in a Worcester 24i with the conversion kit for Grundfos pumps the other day. Took 4 goes to stop the b'stard leaking and then when it went on it didn't work!!!?!?!?!?!!!

AAAAAAAAhhhhhhh :mad:

If you turn the boiler on Ceantral heating mode to heat the radiators, do any radiators heat?

It def sounds like the pump and may just be bad luck, something in the boiler may be causing the pumps to short out.

As sed before take the little silver cap off and see if its even turning

Is there pressure in the boiler? and what colours the water dripping out the pump when the cap is off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back