CH Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I currently have the ceiling removed in my kitchen and I am planning to run a cable from the boiler to the hot water tank, future controller position and pump in preparation for a Y or W plan valve and thermostat and controller etc. (we currently have a set up made by Mr Heath and Mr Robbinson). My question is what type of cable do I need to run from the boiler to the pump in preparation for the work when funds permit.

Thanks for any comments
peely

Sponsored Links
You should really power the boiler from the same source as everything else on your heating system.

It does depend on your boiler and if it needs to power the pump for over run. You will also need a call for heat which might need a relay at the boiler if its no volts.

To cover all eventualities I would fit three flexible cables of two core plus earth and 0.5 mm²

Tony

thanks for the reply

with regards to the cable size, do you mean the 2 core plus earth should be 0.5 mm2?

The boiler and pump is currently powered from a fused spur via a 24 hour immersion heater timer that I wish to have replaced.

Cheers
Peely

Agile said:
You should really power the boiler from the same source as everything else on your heating system.

It does depend on your boiler and if it needs to power the pump for over run. You will also need a call for heat which might need a relay at the boiler if its no volts.

To cover all eventualities I would fit three flexible cables of two core plus earth and 0.5 mm²

Tony

thanks for the reply

with regards to the cable size, do you mean the 2 core plus earth should be 0.5 mm2?

The boiler and pump is currently powered from a fused spur via a 24 hour immersion heater timer that I wish to have replaced.

Cheers
Peely

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind you cannot wire in the new cable as you need your 16th edition electrical certs to do it and get it certified.

Since this is "fixed wiring" I believe it should be solid core cable not flex. It's common to use 3core + E if you need more than 2 conductiors, which you will.

If it's a short distance and visible it could be flex but you don't need multiple earths so use a single length of multicore, heat resisting, 0.75mm sq as spec'd by boiler manufacturers. Easily available in a plumbers merchant.

Suggest you consult a sparky, in their forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back