Leak at hot water tap connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small leak on the tail connection on the hot tap on my bath (a drip every two minutes or so) It is a pain to get access to, even with a basin wrench. I have tightened it up as much as I can with little success. I suspect that there is a rubber seal in the connection that may not be sealing properly. However as it is impossible to get the old seal out without major plumbing work, would wrapping PTFE tape around the joint seal it :?:

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless the tap connector is of the pushfit type, the sealing washer is more likely to be fibre (or polyethylene) than rubber.

If the plumbing doesn't allow easy removal of the connector, then I'd cut into the pipe at a suitable point below, replace the tap connector with a new one that seals properly, and reconnect the pipework.

If you use a section of plastic pipework when doing this then you'll find it easier AND you'll have a demountable assembly that will make future maintenance much easier.

Thanks for your reply Softus. :D

I have decided to replace the existing fitting with a flexible connection with shut off valve over the weekend.

Just loosen the nut, smear some boss green over the nut and re-tighten, never fails ;)

Sponsored Links
Expertboy said:
Just loosen the nut, smear some boss green over the nut and re-tighten
How exactly do you get that horrendous muck on the sealing face of the tap connector, without withdrawing the connector from the tap tail?

Softus said:
Expertboy said:
Just loosen the nut, smear some boss green over the nut and re-tighten
How exactly do you get that horrendous muck on the sealing face of the tap connector, without withdrawing the connector from the tap tail?

Easy, loosen off the nut, wet your fingers and rub a piece of boss green into a ball and then press into the threads and then re-tighten, whats so hard about that? ... and it's never failed on me yet.

Expertboy said:
smear some boss green over the nut
Softus said:
How exactly do you get that horrendous muck on the sealing face of the tap connector
Expertboy said:
press into the threads
I think you misread my post - I said how do get it on the sealing face?

Also, how do you loosen off the nut if some Boss Green loving bozo has already been there and smeared the gunk on the threads - not quite so easy to undo the nut then. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back